Menu

Ramblings - Aspergers - friends - loneliness

I'm reading a book on autism titled Through the Glass Wall: Journeys into the Closed-Off Worlds of the Autistic by Howard Buten, PH.D. I've gotten to the part where he mentions Aspergers (my ds15 is an Aspie) and I came across a concept that I didn't realize was realized by anyone else. It refers to the glass wall, hence the title I suppose.

It says Aspies can have "the 'air of aloneness' that Leo Kanner described, the glass wall."

This is how I've described myself for years and years! In my early 20s, I wrote a poem about how I feel like I am inside a glass box with other people walking around freely and interacting with one another but kind of skirting around the boundaries of my box like I'm not quite there. I only have 1 window on 1 side of my box that allows for interactions. This is how I've described how and why I haven't had many friends.

So I got to thinking about the friends I've had in my life. I counted 7 from birth to present, age 43. I had 2 great friends in elementary school before I moved out of state. I had 2 friends, not at the same time, in grades 6 through 8. I had one great friend for a year when we were 17. The next was someone I met in college at age 20, but she graduated and moved away about a year after we met. And the last one was someone I met through a homeschool group in my late 30s. Once we lost contact, it was never reestablished, so none of them were what I would call a long-term friendship. I have had acquaintances throughout the years but no one I would call a friend. Those were more the polite small talk kind of relationships.

Is the number of my friends unusual? Does it seem about right or really low? Not only am I sad that I've only had 7 friends, but I'm sad at just how staggered they were. I've gone long stretches without girl-friends. I did date lots of guys but that isn't the same thing as having a friend, a buddy, a confidant.

I wonder how my children would respond to that vision of mine, especially ds15 who has Aspergers. Interesting.

So do you think you may be an Aspie, too? Does tend to run in families. I think I have a place on the spectrum somewhere (well, everyone does--it is a spectrum, after all! :D). Ds is Aspie. I have to catch myself in conversations, because I "link" to too much information--someone will mention something and I can come up with my own experiential example in a heartbeat, and used to share every thought.

Anyway--that may be another example of the above. :D

So do you think you may be an Aspie, too? Does tend to run in families. I think I have a place on the spectrum somewhere (well, everyone does--it is a spectrum, after all! :D). Ds is Aspie. I have to catch myself in conversations, because I "link" to too much information--someone will mention something and I can come up with my own experiential example in a heartbeat, and used to share every thought.

Yeah, I do the same thing in conversations, particularly on this board. :D I've actually been canceling many responses because I remind myself that I do not always need to jump in with a story. It's really hard though.

I think it's possible for me to be on the spectrum. I've been diagnosed with mood and anxiety conditions. I don't know how a spectrum disorder would fit in with all of that; but so many conditions are comorbid, there is just no telling.

My ds15 was just telling me the other day, he wished he was more like others. All I could do was hug him and tell him I could totally relate to that.

Ah. So you're not supposed to jump in with a story every time? :blush: Or write poems about being separate from the world, just watching it? Or have only 0-1 real friends at a time, ever?

I swear, this board has me convinced I'm an ADD Aspie half the time :tongue_smilie:. Maybe I am. I was hoping I was just weird, lol.