Menu

Elegant Essay - hard to figure out how to teach??

There are lesson plans in the back (they start on p. 81 in mine.) Have you looked at those yet? They are pretty open-and-go. There is also a chart (p. 79) showing how to pace it over 12 weeks, with columns of what to teach in class, what to practice in class, and what to assign for each week/unit.

I taught it with a group of students and pulled in a lot of other resources, so I ripped it apart and put it back together again, but I thought the lesson plans looked like they would work well.

I just taught lesson two to a high school co.op class yesterday. It was pretty clear but it helped ne greatly to have a copy of the student book alongside the teacher book as i taught it, i just made an extra copy of my sons student book fo me...so far so good..i do find that itvis the type of progrm you get the most out of open discussion and a team approach, the kds loved brainstorming and sharing ideas.

If you are using it with just one child, i would share a good deal of the examples provided in the teachers manual...inturned off auto correct on my ipad so more punctuation errors! But less stress for me!

I just got The Elegant Essay, too. I'm a little disappointed in it for the price. I think I like The Lively Art of Writing much better, and it cost much less.

Join the IEW families site (they have a for sale/wtb section)...they go quickly and for what you sell it for (when you're done with it) it ends up being less than $10-$15...so from those perspectives you get a LOT for your money! :)