Menu

Primary Grade Challenge Math vs. Challenge Math

My daughter is 8.5 going to 3rd grade by age, but started 5th grade Math with K12. She does fine with 5th grade, takes her longer than 60 min per lesson, gets material well, and scores at least 90 to 100 each fresh skill assessment. We moved through 30% of 5th grade. So we moved fine so far. This summer I have tested her math skills on free state tests, and she scores in 90% on 3rd grade tests and 90% on 4th grade tests. But most of the times she hates Math. Any test we take from either 3rd or 4th grade is always 1 wrong answer out of 10, and it is mostly when it involves some thinking to be done, not just calculations.

I was thinking of using Challenge Math or Primary challenge math to cheer up and add some thinking motivation. But since I am always below ability to pay bills, any extra $20.00 makes me to agonize over the choices.

In other words - should I buy Primary challenge or next book? Is there repetition? Or for the Math hater I have to first encourage her with easier problems. The problem is that her skills are good, but she hates to think. So, she is advanced, but would not be gifted in Math.

We used the upper el/ms version w/my 8/9 yr old dd last year. She is advanced, but not off the charts. She was not able to contemplate the Einstein level, but could process the first level and sometimes the second. She enjoyed the book!

Edited by Spetzi