Menu

Scheduling # of lessons for a subject

OK, so this is my first time to Schedule our homeschooling year. We just did K last year and I had a general master plan and that's it.

So, I'm getting a bit kerfluffled trying to plan our 1st grade year. I figured it would be easy, but having not done it before I am running into little problems that I'm not sure how to solve.

For example: we have 34 weeks in our school year, but there are 42 chapters in SOW, so do we do 2 chapter for 8 of those weeks to finish the whole book? Skip some of the activities? Stop without finishing?

OK, so this is my first time to Schedule our homeschooling year. We just did K last year and I had a general master plan and that's it.

So, I'm getting a bit kerfluffled trying to plan our 1st grade year. I figured it would be easy, but having not done it before I am running into little problems that I'm not sure how to solve.

For example: we have 34 weeks in our school year, but there are 42 chapters in SOW, so do we do 2 chapter for 8 of those weeks to finish the whole book? Skip some of the activities? Stop without finishing?

So, why not just do the 42 weeks?

Unless you're not enjoying it, in which case just stop where you feel like stopping. It isn't a big deal. :-)

My experience with ancients is that some of the SOTW chapters are very short, and some have few (or no) activities or readalouds to go along. I'd imagine the other volumes are similar. You could double up when you come across those chapters, or you could look through the guide and see when there are weeks/topics that you don't think will need too much delving and move quickly through those.

Some people don't do many of the activities and some don't do too many go-along readalouds, so that might help you move along more quickly. Or you could just extend your SOTW study into the summer on its own if the kids are really enjoying each and every chapter.

HTH!

We school year round and then just move onto the next thing when we finish with the previous one. You could still do that even if you do not school year round.

Or you could combine some chapters. And remember that some of the chapters in SOTW have only one section while others have three sections. We usually do a section a day, with history being done two days a week. I'm not concerned with how long it takes to get through it. In fact, this is our 4th (?) year working through volume 1 because my girls just didn't seem ready in the past, so I kept shelving it for a while.

For STOW I look at the number of pages in each chapter, and number of activities, pick the shortest chapters and do those in a couple days instead of our usual 5. We don't do activities for those chapters, just read, narrate and discuss.

I use a similar process for other subjects.

My kids love history and would do it for 42 weeks, but I am a die hard summer girl and by Memorial Day I need to be officially finished. (We do some math and tons of reading and informal learning in the summer, but I put away the schedules and many of the books and head for the beach).