Menu

Oh the meltdowns!

My son is on the spectrum with adhd and ocd. Today we were enjoying a perfectly fine day outside and he was happily riding on his scooter. All of a sudden he got it into his mind to wash the van in the complex parking lot. All I said was "no". As I was trying to explain why, he immediately started spinning out of control into a meltdown, started hitting my van with his scooter and was screaming at the top of his lungs.

I could barely get him into the house because he was so out of control, screaming and wouldn't let go of the scooter. It took a half hour of calming measures to get him under control.

Some days, like today are so difficult. I never know what look, word or blow of the wind will set him off. :(

My son is on the spectrum with adhd and ocd. Today we were enjoying a perfectly fine day outside and he was happily riding on his scooter. All of a sudden he got it into his mind to wash the van in the complex parking lot. All I said was "no". As I was trying to explain why, he immediately started spinning out of control into a meltdown, started hitting my van with his scooter and was screaming at the top of his lungs.

I could barely get him into the house because he was so out of control, screaming and wouldn't let go of the scooter. It took a half hour of calming measures to get him under control.

Some days, like today are so difficult. I never know what look, word or blow of the wind will set him off. :(

You are not the only one who has episodes like that to deal with. Sometimes we feel like our family is held hostage by meltdowns. I wish I had some kind of answer or helpful suggestion. :grouphug: