Menu

Help me decide ECC or SL 1 or SL 1+2

I have two school aged children that I will be homeschooling and one 8 month old. I wanted to do MFW ECC with the two this comming fall they are 8 & 6 but have been thinking it would be better to wait another school year and then do it when they are 9 & 7... I have the guide but none of the books for this.

Then I have SL 1+2 including all books and guide (not including Bible and science) but thought that might be a little too old for them too. So I purchased the SL 1 guide and thought I might do that, but don't have the majority of the books since most of the ones with 1+2 are from core 2... so now I am really confused. I also have SOTW 1 audio with the activity guide.

Here is what our other subjects look like:

3rd grader

Horizons math 3

SL readers or whatever strikes our fancy

Rod and Staff English

Cheerful cursive

AAS/ Spelling Power (haven't decided for sure)

Science (not sure yet.. thinking of Noeo or just using books we already have)

1st grader

Singapore 1B

MFW LA (writing, phonics, spelling, etc)

Science (tag along with whatever we do for older)

So with looking at what we already have planned and seeing what my options are for curriculum I have what would you think would be a good fit?

I used Core 1+2 with my dd when she was in 3rd grade. I wished I had chosen the separate cores instead. 1+2 moves fast since so much is covered. I felt it would have been better to go at a slower pace and have time to enjoy the study more. Since you also have a 1st grader, I would recommend doing only Core 1 this year. If you'd have to buy books to do ECC, why not just buy what you need for Core 1? ECC is very versatile as far as the age range is covers so it would be fine to wait a little later for it.

I'm considering doing Core 1 and 2 sometime in the future with my younger girls. I still have my old 1+2 IG and all the books. If I decide to do it this time I will trade my IG in for one of the separate IGs and do it over 2 years.

Well, I would do SOTW and the activity guide for history... because it is the most fun. :D You could add in the read alouds and readers from SL 1/2 and space them out over two years by getting some of the books suggested in the activity guide from the library. I would sell the SL IG. But, that's just me. We just started SOTW 1 and my four and six year old really enjoy the hands on activities. And it would go so much smoother if they were six and eight instead!

Thanks for your response. That helps eliminate core 1+2... but should I do Core 1 or ECC???? Hmmm I just can't decide

I really want to do ECC, but I don't want my 1+2 to go to waste. Decisions, decisions.

You're welcome. Well if you really like Core 1 then go with it, you can always save ECC for later. If you do ECC now, you might miss your opportunity to do Core 1 and 2 because you'll feel like your oldest will be past it.

I know ECC looks like so much fun. We actually tried it but ended up going a different route after the first few weeks into the program. It wasn't that the program was bad or anything it just wasn't what we wanted at that time I guess. I can't give it a fair review because we didn't use it long enough. I have considered repurchasing the guide many times ( I still have all the books). I might use it in the future with my younger girls someday. :)

Hopefully someone else will have some advice for you.

Well, we ARE planning on doing 1+2 this year as a broad overview - sort of like ECC, but SL -style :). It is a quick overview, but we plan to take it slow, and if it takes a couple of years, okay by me :). I do like the idea of doing a BIG overview of history/geography before digging into specific time periods - ala ECC, but I heart SL. And if you have it....hey, I'd go for it!