Menu

Resources for outlining and taking notes

I was just looking at the options for this. We did R&S last year, too. I think we're going to use this short Outlining, Note Taking, and Report Writing book the first two to three weeks. It starts with the simplest, most basic level and moves up from there. I think it will give the kids a quick, bare bones understanding of outlines & how to do them. My boys are going into 6th, so I think they'll be able to apply it to their reading right away and start outlining on their own.

After the Outlining text, we'll start WWS which, I think, will be a more in depth development of how to outline more difficult sources and how to write from outlines.

If we use SOTW 4 this fall, I'll use the outlining exercises laid out in the SOTW 4 AG. In the student pages, there are outlines to complete for each chapter, usually one for each of the two parts of the chapter. Halfway through the SOTW 4 book, she has the students start writing from a given outline.

We have used the resource that SWB recommends in the third edition of her book, but we have found that we prefer working within context for teaching outlining and note taking. I photocopied SWB's outlining instructions that start on p. 297 of the third edition and handed them to my youngest. His grateful response was, "Why didn't you just give me this to start with?" as he thought SWB's instructions were much better than the resource she had recommended. If you use TWTM for history, then having the student pick out the six or eight most important points of the history reading really starts them on the path of discerning what is worthy of being written down as a note. What I appreciate is that the process isn't spoon-fed to them like it can be with workbooks or certain texts that make it impossible for the student to miss the main point...or to think on their own.

We have used the resource that SWB recommends in the third edition of her book, but we have found that we prefer working within context for teaching outlining and note taking. I photocopied SWB's outlining instructions that start on p. 297 of the third edition and handed them to my youngest. His grateful response was, "Why didn't you just give me this to start with?" as he thought SWB's instructions were much better than the resource she had recommended. If you use TWTM for history, then having the student pick out the six or eight most important points of the history reading really starts them on the path of discerning what is worthy of being written down as a note. What I appreciate is that the process isn't spoon-fed to them like it can be with workbooks or certain texts that make it impossible for the student to miss the main point...or to think on their own.

:iagree: