Menu

What did you move on to AFTER you finished ETC?

nov05mama

We are still a little way off from finishing the series (will be through book 4 and possibly book 5, by the end of this year) but I am wondering most people move on to after completing it?

I would say after finishing the ETC series they should have a pretty good grasp on phonics. I would go onto a spelling program- maybe AAS?

I would say after finishing the ETC series they should have a pretty good grasp on phonics. I would go onto a spelling program- maybe AAS?

We are already doing spelling w/ AAS1, so maybe add in Grammar once we finish ETC next year? He's reading fairly well for his level (things like Mouse Soup, Frog & Toad series, etc) but I love the ETC books for the actual phonics instruction to help with deduction, etc. I am just wondering what the natural "next step" is once we move away from a formal reading/phonics type program?

son in ETC 8 and after that my intention is to continue with his other reading, add primary language lessons and rod and staff spelling 2. He is reading fluently and with good comprehension. My emphasis would be on oral reading, narration and speed. He leves the elson readers in addition to his other reading. I use that for oral reading and he just completed book 2. HTH.

We are already doing spelling w/ AAS1, so maybe add in Grammar once we finish ETC next year? He's reading fairly well for his level (things like Mouse Soup, Frog & Toad series, etc) but I love the ETC books for the actual phonics instruction to help with deduction, etc. I am just wondering what the natural "next step" is once we move away from a formal reading/phonics type program?

Yeah I would do good books, maybe find some comprehension questions online about them and start a good grammar program :001_smile:

Generally spelling/or dictation if they can already copy 10-15 words in a few minutes. For us this was FLL 1 at ETC bk4 and FLL 2 at ETC bk 6.

Spelling was coverd by the dictation in FLL 2 and review dictation from sentences in ETC on phonetic patterns they were asking me how to spell.

After they can copy 50+ words in 5-8 minutes, I changed their oral story narrations/ summaries or character descriptions to 2 written a week. I write. They copy.

2nd-3rd After they can dictate to themselves and write 3-5 sentences, I start sequential spelling and paragraphs via IEW. And longer literature and history writing by IEW. Sentence family grammar and the natural grammar instruction in proofreading their own paragraphs.

4th formal grammar daily grams and /or shurley english grammar only, multi paragraph papers.

The best guide in choosing grammar, spelling, literature has been: How much writing can my child do?