Menu

When to find kittens new homes?

Awhile ago our youngest cat got pregnant before we had a chance to get her fixed. She wound up having 5 kittens - she was only 5 months old herself!

Now the kittens are 6 weeks and they are still nursing, but do eat solid food. I told my son he can choose 2 of the 5 kittens, but it just breaks my heart to have to separate them. We already have 3 cats, so keeping all 5 is not an option.

Anyway, at what age do you try and rehome kittens? 6 weeks seems so young...

Six weeks. In fact, we took Mom Cat to have her spayed the day the babies were six weeks old, and put an ad in the paper. We sold the babies for $10 each--people think they're more valuable if they have to pay for them. Strange but true. We had to turn people away.

Hmmm...at 6wks they are still nursing though. When I was bf'ed my babies, I once tried to cold turkey ween, but I became so painfully engorged that the only relief was to let them nurse and ween them slowly until my supply decreased. It was very painful and I can't imagine forcing another creature to go through that discomfort, unless it's different for animals?

Our vet says she can't get pregnant until 12 weeks after the kittens are born, so maybe waiting a few more weeks until they're weened would be better? I'm just not sure how long, 8wks, 9, 10...is 12wks too old to rehome?

Six to eight weeks. Start weaning then gradually now so that mama doesn't go from all to nothing overnight.

Seriously try to find them homes when they're still little and super cute. Odds are better. Right now there are eight ads for free kittens in our local paper. You can put "box trained" in the ad b/c 99% of cats are born box trained.

My SIL took their kittens and the mama cat (who was a stray that happened by) to a free spay/neuter clinic and was able to offer up already fixed kittens and they went like crazy. She wished she had charged for them but she just wanted to ensure they were all fixed.

Start now and give yourself time to find good homes for them, don't try to wait until they're 12 weeks old and have them compete with all the adorable 7 week old kittens that are in the paper that week.

Six to eight weeks. Start weaning then gradually now so that mama doesn't go from all to nothing overnight.

Seriously try to find them homes when they're still little and super cute. Odds are better. Right now there are eight ads for free kittens in our local paper. You can put "box trained" in the ad b/c 99% of cats are born box trained.

My SIL took their kittens and the mama cat (who was a stray that happened by) to a free spay/neuter clinic and was able to offer up already fixed kittens and they went like crazy. She wished she had charged for them but she just wanted to ensure they were all fixed.

Start now and give yourself time to find good homes for them, don't try to wait until they're 12 weeks old and have them compete with all the adorable 7 week old kittens that are in the paper that week.

:iagree: