Menu

Sadlier-Oxford Materials for High School

Hello Everyone, this is my first thread (not first post).

Has anyone used the Sadlier-Oxford materials at the high school level (vocabulary and composition)?

Looking at the Kolbe Academy site (where I saw them), it appears they are graded by color and letter:

9th grade, Vocabulary "D", Composition "Blue"

10th grade, Vocabulary "E", Composition "Green"

11th grade, Vocabulary "F", Composition "Orange"

12th grade, Vocabulary "G"

My only hands on experience with language programs has been Analytical Grammar (love it). I have read a great deal about IEW, so I understand it, conceptually. I'm not actually searching for a language program as much as looking for a review of the S-O program.

(winnowing down the choices before choosing my kid's final high school curricula...)

asta

We use them and I have found the Vocabulary to be excellent but am not as pleased with the comp books. These are written for classroom use and it shows. I suppose they "do the job" but my ds finds them tedious, frankly. We have supplemented with Write@Home workshops and also Put That in WRiting which are both superior, imho. But you can't beat the price for the SO Comp. Vocabulary is superb though, as I said!

Mary

Tedious is exactly what I'm worried about. My son is a prolific reader, not writer. When he can see the *point* to something, he does just fine, but if it appears to be just "busy work?" I lose him.

asta

This brings to mind my discussion with my 12 year old this week -

He just finished reading "A Year Down Yonder" and I was going over some open-ended discussions questions when he asked why I just didn't read the book as it would be a lot easier on the both of us! And he wasn't being smart aleck just sincere! Ha!

Myra