Menu

At home thryroid and anemia test

I found this website that sells at home thyroid test :

http://www.testcountry.com/categories.html?cat=16

I'd like to get my iron levels tested as well but can't find a pharmacy that does it where I live(I've found several in other states). I just want the single finger prick that tells if I'm low in iron.

I really think I'm probably fine(maybe low in iron) but I'm losing an extreme amount of hair(and have been for about 4 weeks) since the baby was about 7-8 weeks old. I have no other symptoms that I'm aware of(a little dizzy at times but nothing else)...but just want to rule these things out before I accept this is just normal post partum hormones. I don't have any depression or anything like that-in fact I'm really happy..except for the hair loss.

Does anyone have any experiece with these tests?

I would rather not go to the doctor unless I know something is wrong. I don't have regular insurance(Samaritan's Ministries-I don't want them to have to pay for this) but I also have a cautistrophic policy that doesn't start covering until we reach the deductible.

Do you have any suggestions of where to get an iron test and if you think this thyroid at home test is good?

You really need more than TSH levels to determine thyroid problems. TSH can vary from day to day. Iodine stimulates the (I can't remember the name) gland that produces TSH to make more. I'm sure there are others that can effect levels.

What you really need tested is your T3 and T4 levels. It would be a good idea to test for Hashimoto's antibodies (or Grave's depending on if you feel hyper or hypo) also.

Do you have any other symptoms besides hair loss?

Have you called your OB/midwife to ask if your hair loss could be hormone related?

For diagnosing anemia, you need more than just your ferritin level checked. If that is low, it should lead you to seek more info rather than just self medicate with OTC iron supplements. If I remember correctly, there are about four separate values in determining iron deficiency anemia.

Also, hair loss can also be a symptom of Vit D deficiency.

Since you just had a baby not long ago it could be hormone related. I suffer both thyroid and hormone imbalances. If you have no other thyroid symptoms my guess would be hormonal. If you still want to get the thyroid tested I suggest tsh, free t4 and free T3 to start with