Menu

Is there a Country Report book that is similar to A Beka's "My State Notebook"?

This next year I'm giving my 9th grader the option to choose a few different areas and do a comprehensive historical/cultural study of them for history. i wanted something deeper than just a one or two page form.

I like the way A Beka's State Notebook gives them guidance on researching and organizing their learning. Is there something similar that would work for a high schooler?

So far he's chosen France and a couple places in the Middle East. I've found some thematic books that are geared more for 6th and under, but I'm holding out, lol......

started homeschooling and wish we'd done all of them, although they're more in-depth geography books about each continent, not exactly like Abeka's My State Notebook.

They're published by Evan-Moor, and there is one book for each continent:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=7&ClassID=158&SeriesID=54

(I'm terrible at giving "titles" to links. Can someone teach me how to do that some day? :confused: )

I also have DK's Geography of the World, which could assist you and your kids into further research on each continent or country:

http://us.dk.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780756619527,00.html?breadcrumbList=%7BGeography+of+the+World%7D&bcPath=c614082%2D00000000%23%23%2D1%23%23%2D1%7E%7Eq47656f677261706879206f662074686520576f726c64&searchProfile=US-614082-global&strSrchSql=Geography+of+the+World

Also, a good atlas would help, such as National Geographic or a DK Student Atlas. I also have the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World Geography. That is also a good resource.

I'm not sure if the Evan-Moor books are exactly what you're looking for. However, one of the great things about Evan-Moor is that you can view, page-by-page, most of their resources (like Amazon, only better!). Evan-Moor also makes many of their books available as e-books, so you can give them your credit card info. (if you want, of course ;) ) and they send you the e-book right away. Then, you can print off pages as you wish. For my kids (who aren't always the neatest!) that's been a great advantage!

Good luck on your hunt! I hope you find what you're looking for! A country book report is a great idea!

started homeschooling and wish we'd done all of them, although they're more in-depth geography books about each continent, not exactly like Abeka's My State Notebook.

They're published by Evan-Moor, and there is one book for each continent:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=7&ClassID=158&SeriesID=54

---

I'm not sure if the Evan-Moor books are exactly what you're looking for. However, one of the great things about Evan-Moor is that you can view, page-by-page, most of their resources (like Amazon, only better!). Evan-Moor also makes many of their books available as e-books, so you can give them your credit card info. (if you want, of course ;) ) and they send you the e-book right away. Then, you can print off pages as you wish. For my kids (who aren't always the neatest!) that's been a great advantage!

Good luck on your hunt! I hope you find what you're looking for! A country book report is a great idea!

ya know --i forgot about EM letting you look at their page by page views!

thanks for the reminder :)

i do lOVE ebooks!

I have TONS of resources on hand, i just needed a format for researching --something i could hand off and let him do independently [see sig lines, lol].

Abeka has a "Nation Notebook" that is similar in format to the "My State Notebook." You can find it under any of the middle school history sections on the Abeka website.

AHA!!

nation! that's what I was missing in my search, lol!

that will save me a buncha work!

grades 4-8.....

it's cheap enough to buy and use, and i can add a couple projects and in depth reports to beef it up....