Menu

Mystery of History Users--- quick question

You could start right away with only the text. However, I think having a timeline is invaluable. I purchased the timeline figures in the past but my dc are enjoying making their own this year. You will also need access to historical maps. I found mine in other history books, the internet, library books, and the back of my Bible. Oh, I also already owned a bible atlas which helped. If money were no issue, I would have loved to have had Map trek by knowledge Quest. I hope that helps.

I had the same question awhile ago, so I can tell you. :)

I bought the two atlases that were recommended (historical and biblical). They are on the MOH website.

I bought a board (just yesterday) for the timeline.

As far as the timeline figures, I decided to just use the free ones. I joined the MOH yahoo group and there are files that you can download them from. Saves a lot of money! The kids can color them and add any details they want. They are actually cute, and there are two different sets (just choose the one you like the best).

I also downloaded free notebooking pages from here:

http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/profile/585

They start about 2/3 of the way down the webpage. If you do not have something to put them in, you may need to buy a small binder or some type of notebook.

That's about it! I hope this helps!

I had the same question awhile ago, so I can tell you. :)

I bought the two atlases that were recommended (historical and biblical). They are on the MOH website.

I bought a board (just yesterday) for the timeline.

As far as the timeline figures, I decided to just use the free ones. I joined the MOH yahoo group and there are files that you can download them from. Saves a lot of money! The kids can color them and add any details they want. They are actually cute, and there are two different sets (just choose the one you like the best).

I also downloaded free notebooking pages from here:

http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/profile/585

They start about 2/3 of the way down the webpage. If you do not have something to put them in, you may need to buy a small binder or some type of notebook.

That's about it! I hope this helps!

Thank you! Did you end up buying any of the other things later on? Like the challenge cards or the folder books?

Thanks for the link too!

You could start right away with only the text. However, I think having a timeline is invaluable. I purchased the timeline figures in the past but my dc are enjoying making their own this year. You will also need access to historical maps. I found mine in other history books, the internet, library books, and the back of my Bible. Oh, I also already owned a bible atlas which helped. If money were no issue, I would have loved to have had Map trek by knowledge Quest. I hope that helps.

Thanks!

Oh, and what about the reproducible cd? I probably won't need it to get started right away, but would you recommend it later on?

If you think you'll want to use the quizzes and exercises, it's SO much easier to print them from the CD than to photocopy from the book. But either way works.

Thank you! Did you end up buying any of the other things later on? Like the challenge cards or the folder books?

Thanks for the link too!

No problem! :)

We are using it starting this September, but no, I am not buying the challenge cards or folder books. You did remind me of something else I did buy, though! I bought some little spiral bound index cards for the Memory Cards. I also bought some index card holders that I may or may not use.

Oh, and what about the reproducible cd? I probably won't need it to get started right away, but would you recommend it later on?

If you have the extra funds to spend on it, it might be a nice thing to have. I'm skipping it because it all adds up. I would have bought printed sheets (to avoid the cost of ink) but since you still have to print them, I didn't want to spend more money.

If you think you'll want to use the quizzes and exercises, it's SO much easier to print them from the CD than to photocopy from the book. But either way works.

For the quizzes, I might just read the questions and have the kids write the answer on notebook paper. If that doesn't work out, I am just going to photocopy the pages as we go. If I had endless funds, though, I would buy the CD's. :D

I bought the cd. I am glad that I did. FYI, it contains both first and second edition printables. I did not want to destroy the book in the process of making copies or tearing out pages. This is completely optional.

You can purchase the downloads for timeline figures and the timeline book, Wonders of Old, from Knowledge Quest, or a similar product. Else a project board or sewing board, to construct your own timeline.

You will need tabbed dividers, notecards (for memory cards), and a binder.

This will get you up and going quickly. You can use the internet for atlas maps. There are lots of sites. I haven't bought an atlas in over 10 years.

I did purchase Knowledge Quest Maps, and this is only because I favor them over MOH, which now has answers online.