Menu

Anyone familiar with fan fiction?

Dd13 has been writing fan fiction and wants to start posting it online. It's actually quite good and I want to encourage her but I'm not sure of the legalities of it. She is using base story lines and characters from some of her favorite video games. What are the rules regarding this as far as not infringing on copyright laws?

I'm completely unfamiliar with fan fiction so I may not even be asking the right questions. Help me out here, I just don't want her to get fined or arrested.:tongue_smilie:

I used to write a lot of XFiles fanfiction back in the day (read: Before Kids). I never had any problems with copyright issues. DS's friend (13) writes Harry Potter fanfic, and is part of an online teen group that exchanges stories... she's never had a problem with it either. I think as long as you're not claiming characters as your own, you're okay.

Fanfiction.net is the most reputable site. Most other sites are specific to the series it is written for. There is also a ratings filter on the site, so you can restrict each search to less mature themed stories. Some authors, like Anne Rice I believe, request stories based on her characters removed, but most are okay with it. It adds to their fan base.

Depending on what the game is, DH may be aware of other good sites for that series. :001_smile:

Another option is http://www.dreamwidth.org and is designed specifically for fanfic and other forms of free expression. It fills the needs that are within the gaps of fanfiction.net and other websites out there.

"What is Dreamwidth Studios?

Dreamwidth Studios is a home for creative artists of all types. Share your writing, your artwork, or your innermost thoughts. Find others who create the sort of things you like to enjoy. Control who can see your creation with our fine-grained privacy controls. Participate in communities for any one of a hundred topics. We are an independent, Open Source, community-centric service, and we support diversity in all its forms. Come dream with us."

It does require either $$ or an invite code. I have unused codes that I'm willing to share.

Oh gosh! I didn't expect so much response...thank you. Thanks for the sites too; she and I can check those out. She will be very excited to get the green light.

Right now she is writing about Fallout but she also has written about DragonAge, and Assassin's Creed.

I'll ask DH, he plays Fallout and AC, and his best friend plays DragonAge, I think. Don't think he's read any fanfic for those games yet, but he's exhausted Star Wars and HP at this point, lol.

ETA: He said fanfiction.net is your best bet, they have categories for all three games.

Edited by BarbecueMom
After consulting with the resident nerd...

ETA: He said fanfiction.net is your best bet, they have categories for all three games.

Fanfiction.net is good, but... *sigh* :001_unsure:

Please read the full disclaimer to the site. NOT all fanfiction sites allow minors to post in categories that *may* also include adult themes. Read the harassment policy, and a few others on both sites before you decide. DW was designed by fanfiction authors who were fed up w/ the constantly changing rules on various sites (notably livejournal) and the EULA/TOS issues that left a person aiming at a moving target. Also, an advantage to Dreamwidth is that it is a journal site as well, and folks won't be trolling for new fic writers to trash.

Yes, I do seem very biased, but I've seen a bit too much in several fandoms to be completely comfortable with fanfiction.net: canon bashing, trolling, deliberate author slagging (where you bandy together a bunch of folks and get them to complain about an author to the point the author is removed), falsification of ratings (was worse when they allowed NC-17), and general wholesale plagiarism of the entire contents of an author's repertoire with no penalties being served upon the plagiarist. I do realize things have changed considerably in the last few years there, but the sour taste left in my mouth has more than 'called me off' the site :(

/hopping off her apple crate now :)

5LittleMonkeys: Congrats on your daughter writing well enough that it CAN be 'out there' for others to read, and kudos to you mom for being willing to do the footwork for her. :thumbup:

5LittleMonkeys: Congrats on your daughter writing well enough that it CAN be 'out there' for others to read, and kudos to you mom for being willing to do the footwork for her. :thumbup:

Okay, I certainly don't want her getting treated badly. I'll look very carefully into the sites recommended. I'll also become educated in the rating system and make sure she understands it as well.

As to the bolded above...I'm only assuming others would want to read it. I mean it isn't incredible writing, just pretty good for a 13 year old. :D Of coarse I'm biased too. I'm a little apprehensive now since I certainly wouldn't want anyone to bash her writing. She's only been doing this for a little while and I don't want her to be deterred. I suppose I need to read some fanfic in order to determine if hers is up to par.

Fanfiction.net is good, but... *sigh* :001_unsure:

Please read the full disclaimer to the site. NOT all fanfiction sites allow minors to post in categories that *may* also include adult themes. Read the harassment policy, and a few others on both sites before you decide. DW was designed by fanfiction authors who were fed up w/ the constantly changing rules on various sites (notably livejournal) and the EULA/TOS issues that left a person aiming at a moving target. Also, an advantage to Dreamwidth is that it is a journal site as well, and folks won't be trolling for new fic writers to trash.

Yes, I do seem very biased, but I've seen a bit too much in several fandoms to be completely comfortable with fanfiction.net: canon bashing, trolling, deliberate author slagging (where you bandy together a bunch of folks and get them to complain about an author to the point the author is removed), falsification of ratings (was worse when they allowed NC-17), and general wholesale plagiarism of the entire contents of an author's repertoire with no penalties being served upon the plagiarist. I do realize things have changed considerably in the last few years there, but the sour taste left in my mouth has more than 'called me off' the site :(

/hopping off her apple crate now :)

I'm a very active member of the Twilight fandom and have been for a few years. I agre with everything quoted above. We have had some troubles in the past, but things are quiet right now.

The rating system is voluntary, so there is the possibility of your DD reading very sexually explicit material. I know in "my" fandom we are pretty good about sticking to the rating system and policing the community.

One popular option is to post on LiveJournal. I don't know much about that option other than you have to be thirteen to be a member there.

As to the bolded above...I'm only assuming others would want to read it. I mean it isn't incredible writing, just pretty good for a 13 year old. :D Of coarse I'm biased too. I'm a little apprehensive now since I certainly wouldn't want anyone to bash her writing. She's only been doing this for a little while and I don't want her to be deterred. I suppose I need to read some fanfic in order to determine if hers is up to par.

Hon, I've been in and around fandom (Star Trek & Stargate franchise entries, primarily) for over 15yrs :ohmy: and there's some *rather prolific* folks out there that should NOT have their stuff available for public consumption (not enough brain bleach on the planet to eradicate the horrors seen :scared: :scared:) and there's others that I've read by 'younger' authors that are awesome. I'm sure that if you were inquiring, her stuff is at least palatable! There are folks out there that produce terrifying (not in a horror genre sense either) stuff that makes the hair on the bottoms of your feet curl. :scared::scared:

Your comment about reading some stuff out there in her genre(s) is wise. And check the rigidity/looseness of the ratings moderation! There's some serious wriggle-room in a few places on the differentiation b/w pg-13/nc-17, and places that self-monitor/moderate tend to do a better job rather than those done by 'committee'! I've not found much to take issue with in DW's ratings system and its use. Folks who inadvertently slap the wrong rating on something tend to fix it RATHER quickly upon it being noticed (both up *and* down).

Best of luck to the budding authoress :)

Thanks Pauline! Thank you to everyone else who offered advice too.

If you don't mind...just so I can determine if I've just got proud momma syndrome or if it actually is pretty good...could you read her first chapter and tell us honestly what you think? I've never messed with her creative writing before but since she's putting this out there for others to read she is asking for help in polishing it. So far I've only helped her with some punctuation and spelling and encouraged her to use a thesaurus to change some words.

It all seemed to happen so quickly; growing up around the same people, making friends of those available, and making some enemies as well. Receiving a Pip-Boy, carrying out tasks just like an 'adult', taking the G.O.A.T and dealing with the crap from jealous students were all things that flashed through her memory now. Nineteen long years seemed to have just flown by so quickly now. To Leah it was all too quickly. Now as she stood in front of the huge metal vault door, she could hardly believe this was happening.

"Leah, you need to go before the guards get past the doors!" called Amata, the only person that hadn’t tried to kill Leah up to this point.

"Alright, alright!" Leah yelled back.

Leah looked back at her best friend and tried to keep from tearing up. Amata had been with her ever since they were two years old, and now she was about to look at her for the last time. She never realized how hard this would be; to say goodbye. Her heart ached from fear and sadness.

"Ok, the door is open, now GO!" Amata called to Leah again, trying desperately to keep from tearing up herself.

Leah nodded once, turned back toward the now wide open hole that the huge round door stood over. She took one step, inhaled slowly, and then started through the long, dark, dusty tunnel, not once looking back. It smelled damp and old. She slowed slightly when she heard the vault door close behind her and she heard the mechanical lock slide into place, but she continued on toward the old wooden door that she could faintly see at the front of the tunnel. She could hear her heart pounding in her chest as her shaky hand reached out toward the door and pushed it open slowly. A bright, hot white light poured into the tunnel and nearly blinded Leah as she stepped through the opening and outside for the first time in her life.

She kept her eyes closed tight to the intense light and tried to calm her pounding heart for a few seconds before slowly opening her eyes. When she finally looked up she gasped loudly. The earth was nothing like the picture books she had read when she was little. Cracked and dry dirt was the only thing on the ground, and only a few barren trees where standing around, barley holding onto the desolate ground. She walked on a little until she stopped near a small sign on a cliff that read 'Scenic Overlook'. Right below the cliff was a road with two rusty, dilapidated cars over-turned on it and a few dead shrubs. Beyond the road was a small town with several houses, a gas station, and what looked to be a small market. The houses had no walls, no roofs, and could be walked right through. The only thing distinguishing them as houses was the skeleton of framework and partially standing brick fireplace chimneys. The gas station was completely rusted over, and all four pumps where knocked over as if they were dominoes. The market was reduced to merely a front wall and a door.

"This can’t be...real" Leah said to herself as she slid down the little cliff and slowly headed toward the town.

She shook her head as she passed the houses and gas station, unable to believe this is what Earth looked like now. She stopped suddenly as she saw a large haphazard metal sign with the word 'Megaton' painted on it with yellow paint that was rusted over. She looked in the direction that the painted arrow pointed and shielded her eyes from the sun as she searched for any sign of a town. Sure enough, she saw a towering heap of metal sheets, car parts, iron beams and even airplane parts in the distance that seemed to make up the walls of some type of fortress. She could make out a tiny figure standing on what looked like a watchman's post at the very top of what appeared to be the entrance.

"Unbelievable! There ARE people still alive out here!"

Slowly she headed toward the town, still cautious of her surroundings. Stopped by the shout of the lookout, she turned her gaze up at him, instantly noticing the rifle he carried on his back.

"State your business!" he said, in a much more harsh than friendly tone.

"I’m...I’m lost and need a place to rest for a while." she stuttered, unsure and extremely afraid of the armed man. The man eyed her for a moment, and then realized she had no weapons. He noticed the vault jumpsuit but mistakenly assumed she had found it.

"Alright, just don’t cause any trouble." he growled.

Leah stood back as the giant metal patchwork doors swung up and to the sides of the entrance. She turned her focus to a robot that had been greeting her, three times now. She knew it was probably programed to say the same thing over and over again. She smirked slightly as she realized that even though she’d never seen a robot like this she knew it was programmed because of actually paying attention in electronics class. The smirk turned into a frown quickly, and she tried hard to push thoughts of vault life out of her mind for now. Leah finally looked away from the robot and headed into Megaton.

:thumbup1: Great job to your daughter! I've seen enough of DH playing Fallout to follow the story a bit. As she writes more and reads more and gets more comfortable with writing publicly, her descriptive language will mature, but it looks great now, especially at 13. The paragraphs look good. New authors tend to write very, very short choppy paragraphs or not use paragraphs at all!

Remind her that her first few stories will get little attention; experienced readers tend to filter through and stick to well-known authors in the fandom. As she writes more, her pseudonym will be more recognized and draw more readers.

Hope she has fun with it! I enjoyed writing for well-loved characters and would get into it again if I had time.