What should I do for history?

sbgrace

What should follow US history?  

1. 1. What should follow US history?

• Start an overview of world history (CHOW) before ancients
    • start with ancients
    • detailed ancients followed by CHOW and then to beyond
    • something else/other

I'm trying to decide what to do for history late 2nd and beyond. I'd love any opinions or thoughts.

My 2nd graders will be completing a US history study we started last year. I'm torn with what to do next. The idea of an overview of world history appeals to me but so does delving into ancients full force. This will be late 2nd into 3rd grade.

Next I could:

1. Do a one year overview of World History--like CHOW--and then launch into ancients mid-3rd grade.

2. Just start with ancients (in detail) when we get done with US history.

3. Do ancients in detail and then follow with the rest of history in overview form. Then move to medieval and on at that point? That might be weird?

Edited by sbgrace

Here's what I'm thinking I might do. This year I'll have a 1st and Ker. We will either do American history pt 1 this year and Pt 2 the next or do all American History overview in 1 year (just going to see how far we get). Either way, I plan to follow up with World History Pt 1 and Pt 2 (spread over two years). I'm thinking I might use SL 1 and 2. I used it in the past and really enjoyed it. It has CHOW as the spine. That way they will get a nice little overview of history in elementary and then we will go deeper in Middle School with the 4 year cycle.

I voted for CHOW then ancients. You have a one year overview of U.S. history then a one year overview of world history to start hanging other things on once you go full swing into the cycle.

It is kind of what we are doing with my oldest. I would do it this way with all of my kids if I weren't going to just fold them into the cycle when they hit first grade. HOD Preparing might be an option for you if you focus on the left (history) side. We are using it for third grade and it would be adaptable for a first/second grader (less writing/more help on projects). As the other poster said, there is always SL core B+C which now has hands-on activities (core B+C tips)!

I voted for the overview and then ancients, but it really depends on how many cycles you want to go through or if you even want to do the cycles. We are doing our own thing for history and I don't think the cycles would work for us. I think it would be great for your kids to have an overview of everything and then dig into things deeper. I am doing an overview of the world this year and it is a lot of fun!