Menu

Homeschooling and dealing with depression

If you homeschool your children, and suffer from periods of deep depression, how do you manage it? How do you make sure not to let everything slide?

I have bipolar 2 and am generally pretty stable. The periods of depression are generally short lived, but man! they are intense. It's literally a "get up and put one foot in front of the other" type of thing.

I mean, I DO get up. I have to. I just want to be enthusiastic for my kiddos.

Generally it's not situational.

If you deal with depression, how do you manage everything so that the household runs smoothly and the kids learn?

:lurk5:

I'm new to homeschooling, so I won't comment for that specifically.

I can say I have written daily routines - morning, afternoon, and night. I have the very basics highlighted. If I'm having a one foot in front of the other day (for a variety of reasons), I just do the highlighted portions and resolve to let the rest go for a while. The resolving part may be the most important, because if I'm mentally holding on to things I think need to be done, it will drain me even quicker.

:grouphug:

:grouphug: I also have bipolar 2, and I have no answer for you. I deal with the same problem. I try to take caffeine to get me up and moving, but it just ends up making me sick :glare: I'm on two medications which really help, but I still have those don't-want-to-move weeks. I am planning on homeschooling year round, so those times when I'm not getting done what needs to be done can be made up later.

:grouphug: I'm not dealing with depression currently. I had severe postpartum depression for months, but nothing like Bipolar. :grouphug: Just wanted you to know that I think you're awesome for wanting to be enthusiastic for your kids, even when dealing with depression.

Thank you!

I had severe postpartum depression for like, a year, after my second, and also after my third. That is when I was diagnosed with "bipolar 2".

Perhaps I'm in denial, but I still believe that if I could really get a grip on my diet and exercise that I could beat all this. My therapist thinks I'm in denial. I hope to prove her wrong! lol

:lurk5:

I'm new to homeschooling, so I won't comment for that specifically.

I can say I have written daily routines - morning, afternoon, and night. I have the very basics highlighted. If I'm having a one foot in front of the other day (for a variety of reasons), I just do the highlighted portions and resolve to let the rest go for a while. The resolving part may be the most important, because if I'm mentally holding on to things I think need to be done, it will drain me even quicker.

You know..that is a powerful word. "resolve". A dear friend who is quite a bit older than me taught me that. On a "to do" list, even "to resolve" a decision is a big task to checkmark!

I like that idea!!! I'm going to use that "morning, afternoon, and night" one! Thanks!

Would taking those days to go out 'into the world' help? I notice I begin to get down more when I have stayed home too many days in a row. I don't have diagnosed depression, but I do see myself having much more 'down' days and feeling pretty crappy. I then let things slide, which in turn makes me feel even worse (house cleaning, laundry, school work, etc.)

I will try and make myself and the kids get out of the house on those days. Field trips are great, but even a walk around the mall is good in the winter time when we are snowed in. Plus if we aren't home I don't have to 'see' what I haven't finished that day. Ok, it's a little like running away, but I do feel more able to handle it when I return after being out. :001_smile:

I have to force myself to text or call people. If I have contact with friends, I can keep going, even if they don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I *HATE* talking to people when I'm really, really down and all I want to do is hibernate and sleep for the next three months (or until the phase passes), but if I make myself do it I usually wind up in a better mood, at least for a little while. I'm also trying to exercise regularly since apparently the endorphins should help depression... not that the exercise helps me lose weight because I'm a mood eater, so when I get down in the dumps in the evenings, all I want to do is sit around and drink wine and eat chocolate and cry, none of which are helpful the next morning when I've had carb nightmares all night and feel like a giant overstuffed lump with puffy eyes.

Anyway, most days DS learns, DD gets to school with lunch, and I manage to live through the day... but cleaning the house is a whole other story. THAT doesn't usually happen. Music helps, but I need it REALLY LOUD to be therapeutic and DS doesn't deal well with that. *sigh*

Would taking those days to go out 'into the world' help? I notice I begin to get down more when I have stayed home too many days in a row. I don't have diagnosed depression, but I do see myself having much more 'down' days and feeling pretty crappy. I then let things slide, which in turn makes me feel even worse (house cleaning, laundry, school work, etc.)

I will try and make myself and the kids get out of the house on those days. Field trips are great, but even a walk around the mall is good in the winter time when we are snowed in. Plus if we aren't home I don't have to 'see' what I haven't finished that day. Ok, it's a little like running away, but I do feel more able to handle it when I return after being out. :001_smile:

I do find getting out in the sun helps. Maybe I need to be more cognizant of that and be sure to get plenty of sunshine. I remember after ds was born and I was homeschooling my oldest, and I was severely depressed. It was the homeschool field day and I *dragged* us to it. I remember..9 years later..feeling "better" just being outside!

I have to force myself to text or call people. If I have contact with friends, I can keep going, even if they don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I *HATE* talking to people when I'm really, really down and all I want to do is hibernate and sleep for the next three months (or until the phase passes), but if I make myself do it I usually wind up in a better mood, at least for a little while. I'm also trying to exercise regularly since apparently the endorphins should help depression... not that the exercise helps me lose weight because I'm a mood eater, so when I get down in the dumps in the evenings, all I want to do is sit around and drink wine and eat chocolate and cry, none of which are helpful the next morning when I've had carb nightmares all night and feel like a giant overstuffed lump with puffy eyes.

Anyway, most days DS learns, DD gets to school with lunch, and I manage to live through the day... but cleaning the house is a whole other story. THAT doesn't usually happen. Music helps, but I need it REALLY LOUD to be therapeutic and DS doesn't deal well with that. *sigh*

I'm not good at being social and I also need to force myself to call people. Exercise actually *really* does help depression, but like you, I am an emotional eater and thus any good the exercise done can be quickly negated by some good sugary carbs! sigh..

I know people say not to over schedule your family, but this works best for me. If I'm paying for something and committed my child to it, I have to leave the house. For some reason, forcing myself to get out and interact with people really helps me feel better. In the winter, I just want to hibernate and that is not good.