Menu

Do you afterschool your younger children differently than your oldest?

We began afterschooling DS8 because of his interest in science, love of history, early reading skills, and the appalling lack of literature in school. Since we just learned about all the resources out there, my K plan was just science and a well stocked reading list with appropriate related activities.

Now my younger son is entering K and my plans are different for him. He is a math guy--not necessarily gifted, but accelerated--but just average in reading. My plan for him is to supplement math, cover science just as nature study and in reading rather than with text and experiments, and have a focused reading time with him to start listening to more challenging books.

Do you do things differently with your differently skilled kids or do you have a set plan?

Am, have you considered weaving his love of math w/science at all?

When I read your original post, I was thinking of golden numbers and Fibonacci. That might give him a point of interest to lock onto.

That sounds like a good idea! Do you have any resources you suggest?

Not any one resource, but I think that nature exploration and the actual counting of things could really "snap" for him.

If I had to come up with an exercise for a child in this concept..hm...

Perhaps simple things like counting flower petals to help form the idea of "odd" numbers.

Kids at that age really enjoy pattern recognition.

Does he really absorb the concept of odd vs. even?

Nature is packed with examples of odd number expression.