Menu

Help me dress these windows!

I have these three arched windows in the family room. I need to do something! I need more privacy, but that's not my number one concern. Need light control. Need it to stop looking so bare. Need to be super-frugal (aka CHEAP!). We are renters, so nothing too drastic.

These windows are big. Each is 46in wide by 77in tall.

Ideas? Blinds are too costly. Fabric is costly. I have some fabric I can use, to make a roman shade or something. But being straight across the top either leaves the little tiny bit of arch showing, or obscures the arch altogether...both weird looking. I don't really like swags. Or the poufy diaper look. I was thinking of panels made of painters drop cloth, but I don't want to have to close them each day. My true goal is to really only cover the top 1/3 of the window because that's all I need for privacy and light control.

Give it your best shot!

post-8651-13535085309125_thumb.jpg

post-8651-13535085309125_thumb.jpg

Whatever you do, don't do individual treatments ;), and I can't see how roman shades would work there. That would totally ruin the line. If I needed privacy or light control, I would find a loooooooooong rod to extend above & over them, and about a foot above them (so you can still see the arch of the windows) and then consider fabric that could be pulled to each side equally to let light in, and when privacy was not needed (How to explain than better? lol I can see that doesn't make much sense. I'll check in tomorrow and try again. It's late!)

You don't want three different treatments. Don't ruin it with that. Are these on the first floor?

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, first floor. Our back yard slopes up from the back porch, the porch extends across all those windows, so the direct sun is only really an issue when the sun is setting in late afternoon/evening. With the slope, the yard and fence do provide some privacy but there is a house behind us across a street (we back to the street) so I just feel very exposed not having anything on the windows.

Thanks for the input!

Whatever you do, don't do individual treatments, and I can't see how roman shades would work there. That would totally ruin the line. If I needed privacy or light control, I would find a loooooooooong rod to extend above & over them, and about a foot above them (so you can still see the arch of the windows) and then consider fabric that could be pulled to each side equally to let light in, and when privacy was not needed (How to explain than better? lol I can see that doesn't make much sense. I'll check in tomorrow and try again. It's late!)

You don't want three different treatments. Don't ruin it with that. Are these on the first floor?

I think this would work - the pole would have to be supported at points in the middle though. Unfortunately it would take a lot of fabric. But having some panels on each side of the center window would look nice when they are all open. Would nice shower curtains be less expensive and more convenient than buying yardage and having to do all the sewing?

Pick up 2 sconces and place one about 8" from the upper left, and one about 8" from the upper right. So 2 sconces total. Go to a fabric store and get a pretty length of sheer patterned (but bold coloured) fabric. The length should go from floor, up to one sconce, then drape about 1.5 feet down in the centre, all the way to the opposite sconce, then 1/2 the way down to the ground. Tie that 1/2 length in a big loose knot and voila: instant magic. Yes, I've done that before. Yes, it was lovely.

A sconce similar to this would work. Look for ones made for curtains, they'll have a hole in the middle so you could pull the fabric through.

Edited by specialmama