Menu

How many daily hours would you plan for this Grade 9 student?

This is my Aspie. He would like to have a 4 day plan. Day 5 will be for catching up or working on a favorite subject. I think of that Day 5 as his weaning day to see if he can handle some of his own scheduling. Comments or helpful hints are appreciated. I cannot believe I am the homeschool mother of a Grade 9 student. I was certain I would give up by now.

Apologia Biology

TT Pre-Algebra

OM Grade 9 English

HOAW lite with notebooking, no Great Books, some movies

Rosetta Stone Latin America Spanish Homeschool edition

We have just completed our first week of full schedule. We sat together and made out a schedule but we have yet to follow that schedule!! Some subjects are taking longer than expected and some are taking less than scheduled. Next week I'm going to set a timer for 45 minutes for each subject and see how that works out. I'd also like to school 4 days and have Fridays only for tests, catch-up, or something fun.

Does that help? Probably not.:D

I use as a rule of thumb that a credit is an hour per day for a school year.

My student had to work five hours a day in 9th grade on her five core subjects (math, science, english, history and foreign language) to earn 5 high school credits.

If you only want to accomplish this in 4 days, he would have to work 6 hours per day (or less if you school year round)

Is that a 36 week school year?

For us, yes.

People's definition of a credit vary; I have seen figures between 120 and 190 hours.

For math/science /anything with a specified text/content it's easier - you're done when you're done - but that is roughly the order of time it takes.

I use as a rule of thumb that a credit is an hour per day for a school year.

My student had to work five hours a day in 9th grade on her five core subjects (math, science, english, history and foreign language) to earn 5 high school credits.

If you only want to accomplish this in 4 days, he would have to work 6 hours per day (or less if you school year round)

For us, yes.

People's definition of a credit vary; I have seen figures between 120 and 190 hours.

For math/science /anything with a specified text/content it's easier - you're done when you're done - but that is roughly the order of time it takes.

:iagree:

Hi I would like to help since I was in 9th grade this past year with keystone online school. I am finishing up now so I have a heavier workload. But on a 36 week schedule it takes like 3 hours to finish and submit everything. This was my schedule:

AP World History

Honors Biology

Geometry

Honors English

Digital Media

Spanish 3

Mind you or the AP World History reading and highlighting the text is not added to this schedule. Oh and if I may add since your probably going to take Spanish check out books from the library in Spanish and practice reading them. they can be at a kindergarten level but it will help.

I am assigning an hour per class for the most part. There are some classes that I believe will take more than an hour, and I would like DS to have some time set aside just for studying, so I also have an hour "homework" slot in our schedule. This keeps us moving through the day, not getting bogged down in any one subject, but also allows for some classes that just take longer to get it done (mainly math and science).

This is my Aspie. He would like to have a 4 day plan. Day 5 will be for catching up or working on a favorite subject.

My 17yo 11th grade son has AS. Short, sweet and to the point works for him.

I think of that Day 5 as his weaning day to see if he can handle some of his own scheduling.

I plan out what my son needs to do each day, but he can swap up the order or save some things for the evening. I try to keep Friday a planned, yet lightly planned day. He uses it mostly for catch up.

If the week's work is not completed by Saturday morning, no fun stuff for the weekend until it's complete. I started doing this with him late in 9th grade.

Comments or helpful hints are appreciated. I cannot believe I am the homeschool mother of a Grade 9 student. I was certain I would give up by now.

I know! I feel the same way, except I have an 8th and 11th grader!!!

Apologia Biology 30-45 minutes...do the OYO questions orally if that makes the time shorter.

TT Pre-AlgebraFor math, my son just has to set a timer for 45 minutes. He stops wherever he is at that point. Work is this checked and corrected. So, the total time in math is about an hour to hour 15 min.I may have still had him doing only 30 min. with the set timer in 9th grade.

OM Grade 9 EnglishI don't know about this program, but in 9th grade my son spent no more than an hour a day reading lit and writing something (LOTS of free writing...he loves to write).

HOAW lite with notebooking, no Great Books, some movies 30-45 minutes

Rosetta Stone Latin America Spanish Homeschool edition

20-30 minutes a day.

I have found that my son retains SOOOO much more if we keep things short, sweet and to the point. Follow your son's lead on when he's loosing his focus. No need to go through the motions of doing work if he's getting nothing out of it.

HTH

20-30 minutes a day.

I have found that my son retains SOOOO much more if we keep things short, sweet and to the point. Follow your son's lead on when he's loosing his focus. No need to go through the motions of doing work if he's getting nothing out of it.

HTH

:iagree::iagree:

The general rule of thumb of an hour a day per subject recommended for neurotypical students does not necessarily transfer over into an effective or helpful schedule for an Aspie.

I think it's wonderful that you're giving him a day to follow his own academic interests. I'd go even further and, if this works for both of you, separate that work from conventional subject area work of any kind -- let him do something different than textbooks or anything that resembles sit-down schoolwork.

DD has spent hundreds of hours this past year on her passionate interest in the history of musical theater: watching documentaries, looking up all kinds of information, researching awards histories and speculating on cultural or economic trends that correlate to awards, listening to sound tracks, etc. It's not a conventionally academic subject for high school, but through it she's connected to history and practiced an amazing variety of research skills.

Dd has also had a work/study job at the riding school where she takes lessons, for the past three years now.

JennW's older son began, in high school, to work as a lighting tech for a junior theater company and for his church. This led, later in high school, to paid work. He then did an internship at Disneyworld and is just now beginning his first year at a tech school in Florida. He works part-time at Disney and when he is home, has as much work as he cares to take doing more lighting design.

I'd encourage you to see whether there are any interests your son has that can be used not only to expand and strengthen his academic skills, but to get some beginning work or volunteer experience, find a mentor, learn a "real world" skill of some kind.

I found that if I tried to hold dd's nose to the grindstone for hours that were typical for regular kids, she burned out and had no energy for her own powerful obsessional interests or for the kind of work out there in the world that is so important for her growing sense of independence and competence -- sometimes very hard for an Aspie to gain.

We ended up schooling year-round, but on a lighter schedule, taking very few breaks, while allowing dd as much time as possible to pursue her own interests of all kinds: reading, drama and musical theater, horses.