Menu

Operating under an Umbrella School

My2sons

I'm looking into schooling under an umbrella school. The cost is very affordable and I would not have to then register with the school district.

I would submit quarterly reports and yearly attendance. Standardized testing would begin in 3rd grade. We're just starting 1st.

I can only see this has a positive. Is there something that I'm overlooking or should ask?

Amy

This is how we have to register in TN...well, I guess one of the ways. We have been "under" and umbrella school for two years and have not run into any problems with anything. We just have to do exactly what you listed in your post plus submit the curriculum choices we have made. It's really quite simple and keeps us "legal".

I'm in TN as well, and the umbrella school is my plan too. It allows for the least amount of state interference. I submit curriculum lists, grades, and attendance. I don't think testing is required in elementary years - I don't plan to test Becca until maybe 2nd-3rd grade.

Our umbrella offers many perks plus if I ever re-enroll my ds in school it will make it easier...particularly for high school. I also like that my ds will get a diploma from an accredited school if we deciede to hs through highschool. We also submit quarterly reports, which keeps me on my toes.