Menu

Help me compare Right Start Math -VS-Shiller Math

mommynluv

Hey! Newbie here!

I'm struggling with my math curr. choice.

Can someone help me compare Right Start Math and Shiller Math?

I've read countless reviews on them individually, but I would like to get an opinion from anyone that has used both.

I have a 2,4,6,8 year old incase you need to consider that in your advice!!!! LOL!

Can't wait to hear what you guys say! THANKS!!!!

and I know that you're looking for a comparison of the two, but I just wanted to let you know that we've been using Shiller Math for about 4 years and love it. I supplement with Singapore for the extra drill.

M

nycmom

I wish I could help you, but I can't compare the two. I have used RightStart from the beginning, and I was just telling my hubby at dinner tonight that it's probably the single best curriculum purchase I have ever made! We love, love, love it.

But that doesn't answer your question. Sorry!

What math have your dc been doing up to this point and how has it been working for them? Are you having particular issues with math you're trying to correct or remediate by going to Shiller/RS? We used RS levels A-D, and while I like it a lot, I'd have serious questions about the practicality with that many kids. You could use a standard workbook curriculum that would be a bit more independent and spiff it up using the Activities for the ALAbacus book, which was the original form of the RS program. Or you could do RS with them say for just levels A and B and then transition them over to something less teacher-driven.

See I'm just thinking about what kind of time that would take. I only have my one, so it wasn't an issue with us. Your 4 yo would start level A, and that's 15-20 minutes from you daily. Maybe your 6 yo does B, which is 20 minutes a day, 25 max. Your 8 yo say might do Transitions and go into C. (Use the toc for Transitions to select lessons from B, eliminating the need to buy Transitions on top of B.) The lessons in C need 30-40+ minutes daily. By level C you get a bit of independence while they do their worksheets, but you still need to be handy and on-call. And you still need to either play games or do drill with them all daily. RS gives an AMAZING foundation for thinking through math, but it's not the only way to get there. You really need to be practical. If you have a dc who likes to be independent, you might as well factor that into your selection. To do a teacher-driven course with a number of kids at once, you really have to consider it a priority and give it that block, which might mean giving up something else. It can be done, but it's going to take your time.

So just think about it, the time, how much they need that level of instruction, etc. Like I said, we used those levels of RS and really liked it, but if I had 4 kids that close and all young, all needing my time, I could think of a whole lot of easier ways to get there, kwim?

The time issue is a great point.

My 8 year old doesn't seem to be catching math. Last year we used A Beka. While it got us through our first year, I know that I'd rather go to something else. The other day she had a quick review and the problem was 4+2=_____. She literally held up her fingers and actually counted to four on her left hand and then went to her right and said, "five, six. Is the answer six, mom?" My heart dropped. She didn't recognize that all she had to do was count by 2s.

I say that to say that I may just begin her with my soon to be 7 year old at Level B. That way they can also play the games together and it would may the next few years a little easer.

What do you guys think?

Also, another thing on time...my husband is a college educator and he doesn't work on Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun. I'm thinking I can pull this off.

Shiller does in fact seem easier to accomplish, but I want a strong strong foundation of thinking math. KWIM?

Thanks so much!

and I know that you're looking for a comparison of the two, but I just wanted to let you know that we've been using Shiller Math for about 4 years and love it. I supplement with Singapore for the extra drill.

Thanks!

A couple more questions. Do you feel like it is a very solid foundation in understanding numbers? How (if you've tested) have they done on standardized test? What would...say... like a 9 year old learn?

Shiller seems easier to follow, but I'm afraid that it may not be as solid of a foundation that we need. I'm prob. wrong. In fact, I have a friend that uses it and she said that her 4th grader is getting ready for algebra.

I'm so tourn.

Thanks for your input!!

I like the idea of combining your 7 and 8 yo's in level B. Given what you've described, I think it would be a good match. It will ease your time burden and allow you to get the foundation you're wanting.

RS is exactly like the sample lessons online. They also have powerpoint presentations showing their conceptual approach, why they do what they do. If you like what you see in those powerpoint presentations and you like the online samples, I think you can order and feel pretty confident you'll like it. They now have starter kits, so it's easy to get started. You can call the 1-800 number to talk with them about what you'd need as duplicates to do two with level A. You'd want a 2nd abacus, base 10 picture cards, and the place value cards, because you use those things EXTENSIVELY in levels B and C. Those items are $20-25, $5, and $2.50 approximately. And they now sell a packet with all the duplicating done for you that is inexpensive ($5?) meaning you'll want that. You might get by with one set on that, ask them and see. The worksheets are separate, right? Things have changed since I started, hehe. And that packet will have the duplicates for A as well, meaning whenever you want to start your 5 yo, you'll have them.

Yes, I think combining them, since they are so close, would be a great idea. A level of RS is actually quite advanced. For instance level B covers all the state standards for 1st, a lot for 2nd, and even some of 3rd. And many people who complete level E of RS then go into grade 6 of the BJU math, meaning your oldest would be right on track at that point. BJU is a really good transition from RS btw, because it's very similar conceptually. I especially love RS at the lower levels (A and B) and think you're going to be glad to be doing them. Once you've taught a few levels of it, you'll look at BJU and see the similarities, see where you can do BJU the RS way, if that makes sense (using your abacus, using the RS ways of explaining things). That means that if you get in a pickle later with lots of levels going, you have some options. I switched my dd this year, which was a hard decision. However, it's worked out really well for us. I wanted to keep the conceptual approach of RS but get more visual (colored worksheets, lots of visual), more independent. That's just your tip of the day, that BJU math is great after RS, whenever that change occurs for you (after level E, whenever).

Well, I was having the same struggle trying to decide between Right Start and Shiller. I decided to go with Shiller in the end. I haven't ordered it yet though.

My reason for choosing Shiller was that I liked the idea that it was broken into two kits based on age ranges whereas Right Start pretty much corresponds to grade levels. Also Shiller has a really thorough system of diagnostic tests that will help me pinpoint where my 9 year old needs to focus.

Thanks!

A couple more questions. Do you feel like it is a very solid foundation in understanding numbers? How (if you've tested) have they done on standardized test? What would...say... like a 9 year old learn?

Shiller seems easier to follow, but I'm afraid that it may not be as solid of a foundation that we need. I'm prob. wrong. In fact, I have a friend that uses it and she said that her 4th grader is getting ready for algebra.

I'm so tourn.

Thanks for your input!!

My 7 year old dd had ended up going to a private school for second grade and at that time we had finished book 2 of kit 1. She scored pretty high on her terranova test (we're in NY so thats the kind of standardized test they use in her school for 2 grade) and she almost got a perfect score. I do remember her coming home and telling me they were doing 'baby' math at school.

I know shiller seems like it may not give a strong foundation, but I truly have found that it does. Like another poster said that RS may not be for everyone I find shiller may be the same way because it is so different from other math programs. Oh, and with shiller my dd's were "thinking" in terms of math right away. Everything becomes an equation. When dd was just 6 I remember buying a box of ice cream cones. My dd looked at the box and said, "Ok, so there are 12 cones and 4 of us that means we can all eat 3 times." Just to give you an example.

HTH

Michelle