Menu

Favorite fun, cool things especially for math and science?

lillysmom216

Timez Attack by Big Brainz is great for learning math facts. They have free versions of their multiplication and division you can play. We bought it though and can play all the worlds. Great investment. Addition and subtraction are coming out near Christmas. :001_smile:

We loved the book Super Science Concoctions. Lots of fun experiments and explanations.

We just found TheHappyScientist.com. I purchased a year subscription on Homeschool Buyers Coop for $5. I have only watched one video so far, but I think that my kids are going to love it. They already watch one Brain Pop a day and that is always a big hit around here. :001_smile:

Angela

I second the Happy Scientist. It's been a huge hit here! We love Brain Pop, too.

My kiddo also likes to watch MathTacular DVDs, then recreate them with his own manipulatives. He'll either set up a class for DH or me, or make his own films, using the whiteboard and manipulatives. We're considering using the Inquisikids Discover and Do DVDs in the same way, thinking he will watch then do the experiments, teach and/or film.

A science bin is essential here, too. We keep it stocked with a variety of science tools. Above the science bin we have a cabinet full of science kits, and the kiddo often chooses a kit to work through during an afternoon. Thames and Kosmos kits are the ones we have, but there are lots of choices. We also have a bin filled with TOPS Lentil Science supplies, although I think the work it took to set that up was not worth the pay off, in the long run.

Math - We're starting Life of Fred Elementary here. Right Start games have not gone over well here for some reason though. How about math board games? Not sure where your kiddos are in math, but we like Money Bags, Sum Swamp, 'Smath, Mummy Math, and Zeus on the Loose.

Math

1. Board/Card Games

(Racko (sequence); Dino Math Tracks (place value); Monopoly (money/make change); Life (money/make change); Yahtzee / Triple Yahtzee / Sequence Dice (adding); Mille Bourne (adding); Fill or Bust (adding/running total); Equate / Equalz / Muggins (all 4 operations); etc.)

2. Computer Games

(Schoolhouse Rock: Multiplication Rock games; Math Blaster series; Mighty Math series; Number Muncher; etc.)

3. Books

(G is for Googol: a Math Alphabet Book; One Grain of Rice; Greedy Triangle; The Dragon's Scales; A Fly on the Ceiling; Ben Franklin's Magic Squares; Anno's Counting Book; Anno's Math Games; Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar; Math Curse; Peggy Kaye's "Games for Math"; Sir Cumfrence series; The King's Chessboard; The Phantom Tollbooth; Number Devil; Math Trek; Conned Again Watson: Cautionary Tales of Math, Logic and Probability; The Man Who Counted; The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat; A Gebra Named Al; etc.)

4. DVDs from the library; or stream from online

(Schoolhouse Rock: Multiplication Rock; PBS: Square One; PBS: Cyber Chase; Letters and Numbers (do YouTube search); Biz Kids; etc.)

5. Websites

(PBS companion website for Cyberchase; Math Cats; Sheppard Software website; Cool Math; etc.)

Science

1. field trips

(museums; cave; nature preserve; factory or shop where they manufacture something; etc.)

2. DVDs from the library

(Eyewitness series, Magic School Bus, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Amazing Planet, Popular Mechanics for Kids, Mythbusters, etc.)

3. Websites (interactive; informative; activities; games; videos; etc.)

(NeoK12; National Geographic Kids; Yahoo Kids; Kaboose science games; Sheppard Software website games; Science Kids website; Brain Pop; Mr. Donn's website: big list of free online science videos for kids

4. Magazine subscription

(Big Backyard; Ranger Rick; Zoo Books; Odyssey; Dig!; Ask; KNOW; Kids Discover; etc.)

5. Kits

(sun print paper; gears and pulleys kit; Usborne Light and Color book/supply kit; Usborne Magnets book/supply kit; In a Nutshell kits; Education Insights' Adventures with Science kits; Wild Goose 3-in-1 kits; etc.)

Edited by Lori D.
added info