Menu

+post: ? on Tolkien Biography by Carpenter

We are going to be doing this as a read-aloud for school. I had hoped to read it this summer, but it didn't happen. I may need to read part of it due to our schedule.

If you were going to only read portions, which would you choose? This is the bio by Humphrey Carpenter.

I read it when I was a seventh grade homeschool student.

I thought the most interesting parts were 1. his life through the First World War, and 2. the bits specifically mentioning writing the Hobbit, Lords of the Rings, and Silmarillion. (I had previously read those books.)

The poem Mythopoeia is in that book, and it is one of the oldest poems I memorized that I still remember.:)

ETA: I am not sure which chapters these are, I have not seen the book in a while.

I read it when I was a seventh grade homeschool student.

I thought the most interesting parts were 1. his life through the First World War, and 2. the bits specifically mentioning writing the Hobbit, Lords of the Rings, and Silmarillion. (I had previously read those books.)

The poem Mythopoeia is in that book, and it is one of the oldest poems I memorized that I still remember.:)

ETA: I am not sure which chapters these are, I have not seen the book in a while.

Thanks, that is most helpful. Thanks for the tip on the poem as well, I'm looking for some memory pieces for this year. :D

I think I read this at some point many years ago - I don't remember details except that I found it very interesting...

We're doing LLfLOTR this year, and now that you mention it, this would be great to add. Does anyone know if it would be better to read it when we do the unit study on Tolkien's life (which comes toward the beginning of LLfLOTR, during Fellowship of the Rings), or might there be spoilers about the LOTR plot, and maybe I should wait to have them read it after they've finished the books?