Menu

"Dear America" series for boys?

DragonFaerie

My son read a couple of the Dear America books too. He really liked the one about the Mayflower. He also read The Fences Between Us, but he said he didn't like that one as much.

I really thought my son connected with the Mayflower book and learned a lot from it.

Jannylynn - that series looks perfect. I never knew about it. Now I have to go in circles again because I've already planned out all our reading for 2011-2012, but that was before we knew about these...

My son also really liked some of them.

He was a pretty strong reader by 5yo, but he read the book about starving in jamestown a couple years ago and it was the book that really started him as a person who loves reading.

-Okay I just checked and those Jamestown books are from the My America series.

My son does not generally like "girl books", but he read one of these and loved it! I can't remember which one, something about snow or crimson snow? Anyway, I wouldn't automatically discount them.

Actually, I'm wondering if maybe he listened to it first on audio and then read it? I can't remember. But I'm wondering how he ever selected it! Maybe it was something he had to read for school, because I just can't see him selecting a book about a girl!

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the info and suggestions. I'm actually considering these for NEXT year (2012-2013) for when we study American History (I have that curriculum and planning illness, remember? :D). I'm planning on using the America: The Story of Us video from the History channel, along with the companion book as the main part. I'm also going to use Liberty's Kids and several documentary DVDs I found on sale locally. My kids will totally love that history is all videos and reading stories. :-)