Menu

How to adjust the pace of a math program?

cholderby

After looking at (and buying some) different math programs, we went with CLE last year. DS works well with a workbook format and I like that it is not so teacher-intensive as some others. He spends about 40 minutes on math (total time, not "active work" time) a day; we've been doing school 2 or 3 times a week this summer. In that 40 minutes he usually only completes half of a lesson.

He is doing very well with comprehension, but he has a very hard time settling down and actually writing out the answers (he is, afterall, a 6yo boy). We verbally review math facts in the car and he as those down cold.

At our current pace, I think we'll be at the 100 level forever! He definately understands, he just hates the bookwork. So far, we have been doing almost everyting in the lesson. I have started to do the review problems orally, which DS prefers. How else might I speed things up without missing or skipping new content? Should I look for a new program that moves more quickly?

At 6YO, physical writing ability (I mean how mentally and physically tiring the act of writing is, not how beautiful their writing is) often lags behind academic ability, more so for little boys.

Can he learn the concepts with fewer exercises?

Can he write on a chalk board or white board instead, or stand instead of sit?

Can he do more orally, or dictate to you instead of writing?

Just some ideas!

Sometimes I do get concerned about whether we'll finish a book or unit by a certain time... Then I remind myself: I'm teaching my child, I'm not teaching a syllabus or textbook or grade level. Grade levels are arbitrary and artificial, my child is real. I'd just teach him where he's at. It truly doesn't matter what the grade level on the cover says.

That said, if you don't think the program suits him or you, making changes can be good.

He is doing very well with comprehension, but he has a very hard time settling down and actually writing out the answers

Write half the answers for him. I still do this sometimes for my 8 1/2 year old boy when a lesson is dragging.

Tara

My son's mathematical abilities are higher than his writing stamina. I do some problems orally if we need to. I've figured out roughly what he can handle, and I assign written work that I know he can handle, then I'll tell him that a drill section can be done orally. We've been gradually increasing the written work over the last several months.

I also skip problems that he clearly understands and does not need to work. I do not use a spiral program with him because he doesn't need that amount of review. I make sure he understands the concepts taught in the book (sometimes even just teaching it at the whiteboard and skipping the whole chapter in the workbook, if it's a super easy concept for him to grasp), and I give him plenty of practice in the things he needs practice with (especially learning facts - very important). I include enough review that he doesn't forget topics, but he doesn't need daily review of most topics.

My friend uses CLE with her daughter, and she started at a lower level (2nd grade when her DD was 3rd grade) and moved through it more quickly, giving her DD more confidence in the math. It has worked perfectly, and they're sticking with the program. She does cross out problems though. She can look at a lesson and determine if her DD needs to practice a review problem or not. I think she often crosses out about half of the review problems. I think she is keeping the spiral review, but making the spiral not quite so tight, so they can get through it more quickly. It's working for them. :)

I would try doing problems on a dry erase board. Its amazing how fast they can do a math problem with a marker. LOL Have him work some problems on a dry erase board and then cross out the ones he has done.

Cross out anything you feel he has mastered, and remember your not in a race. He will get it finished there are only 10 Light Units. Which one is he currently on?

I wouldn't change a program due to writing stamina if the program works for him. He needs to work on his stamina a bit.

I know my oldest daughter was like this with CLE at first. So I assigned a certain amount of problems for her per day. Then would just up it each week a few more problems until she could do an entire page. Now she can do a whole lesson, but adding a little more each time made it easier for her to build her stamina with writing so she was able to do it.

Edited by TracyR