Menu

My Proposed Schdule

fourcatmom

I am trying to figure out my weekly schedule and would love some input. I will be working full time on Mondays and they will be with their Dad. They can still do work but they won't have direct teaching time, so I don't have a plan for Mondays yet. Fridays I am hoping to make a day where we rotate activities that I want to spend more time on. Once a month we will meet with their CT and maybe twice a month do science, which isn't enough for me but I haven't figured it out yet. Also, I want at least one Friday a month for a field trip. I will only have direct teaching time in the mornings so I am tying to pick the subjects that I know they will need the most help with. I like the schdule so far but in the afternoons when they are doing math, they will have to be on the computer (TT) but I also wanted to add some kind of technology or something else for the 1/2 hour opposite reading time. I can't really do technology because they will be using the computer. Any ideas...

Maybe I should just shorten the time for math, an hour might be too long. I don't know. They are behind in math so I want them to spend a good amount of time on it.

And the girls are 4th and 5th grades. I have also considered purchasing them each a small laptop (not for internet) but for their own work, etc. They both love to write stories and they are constantly wanting to be working on those. If they each had a space to keep their work, it might be easier. Sometimes, I feel like I never have access to MY computer.

7-7:30am Wake-Up call (beds, dressed, hair)

7:30-8:00 Bible & Breakfast (together at the table)

8:00-9:00 Language Arts (cursive too)

9:00-9:05 Small Break (bathroom, drink)

9:05-9:30 AAS together

9:30-10:30 History

10:30-10:50 Break - Recess

10:50-11:15 Art together / Geography together

11:15-11:45 Lunch w/mom

11:45-12:30 Free Choice Activity

12:30-1:30

Sydney Math

Shelby Reading / Literature And 12:30-1:00 and something else from 1:00-1:30

1:30-2:30

Sydney Reading / Literature (1:30-2:00)

Shelby Math

Then from 2:00 to 3:30 they can do whatever they want. I am home by 3:30 and we are off to soccer at 5:00.

Also, wanted to add that last year I hardly had any direct teaching time with them as I was working 30 hours a week. I gave them specific things that they needed to accomplish for each subject but I found that sometimes they didn't really take their time doing it. They were more concerned with completing the task then always doing it correctly. I thought that if I scheduled in a certain amount of time it might work better. Maybe there are days where they can do more or maybe they need more time on other days. At least I know we are spending an appropriate amount of time on each subject.

Edited by fourcatmom

I was a student for a few years. The kids were with my husband and then we switched. We had a pretty set schedule in the beginning. Then checklists. I just didn't have the energy for giving them lots of time. But, I had homework, too.

It sounds like it would work to me. They are with Grandma when you work right? is there anything special they can do with her. Unlike my mom who likes to kill stuff on her X Box, maybe their Grandma likes crafty things:lurk5:

I was a student for a few years. The kids were with my husband and then we switched. We had a pretty set schedule in the beginning. Then checklists. I just didn't have the energy for giving them lots of time. But, I had homework, too.

It sounds like it would work to me. They are with Grandma when you work right? is there anything special they can do with her. Unlike my mom who likes to kill stuff on her X Box, maybe their Grandma likes crafty things:lurk5:

No, they will be at home when I am at work. I will be giving them Math and some technology time and I think some time to complete projects or take some projects that we start, further or work together on them.

61 views and no one has any suggestions on how I can make this schedule work? I guess I will just try it see what works and tweak it that way. Hoping to get some feedback from those who have more experience, especially working part-time while teaching.

I looked because I am new to this, since I am coming from an unschooling sort of atmosphere, and moving to something more demanding. :) I think my 10yo/5th grade dd (who, admittedly, has dyslexia and convergence issues) would collapse at the thought of an hour of math - or an hour of anything, for that matter. For her, I think I will break it up into smaller chunks, or at least, have a set amount planned for the day and allow her to break it up into chunks if she prefers.

I admire your dedication and hope you find a schedule and a groove that works for all of you.

I looked because I am new to this, since I am coming from an unschooling sort of atmosphere, and moving to something more demanding. :) I think my 10yo/5th grade dd (who, admittedly, has dyslexia and convergence issues) would collapse at the thought of an hour of math - or an hour of anything, for that matter. For her, I think I will break it up into smaller chunks, or at least, have a set amount planned for the day and allow her to break it up into chunks if she prefers.

I admire your dedication and hope you find a schedule and a groove that works for all of you.

I was originally thinking that I would need about an hour because I would want some instruction time with them and then allow them do to so independent work as well. It might be too much. My 10 yo loves History so I am hoping that will work and if I have to break up the LA, that's okay too. They can do some of it later in the day without me. I don't know about the math either. It can take some time to get set-up, put the CD in and listen to explanations so I was thinking that it wouldn't be straight math for an hour. I did shorten the schedule to 45 min of math and 15 min of technology (like typing) and then for the later part of the day, I changed to 1/2 hour of reading and 1/2 to do any kind of make-up work or finishing up projects. I am sure by the first week, I will know what will work and what will not work. I am most concerned about my 4th grader, not being to inclined to follow-through with tasks and stay on schedule. I am pretty sure my 10 yo will be okay.

Thank you for taking the time to leave me feedback. I guess I am trying to be as prepared as I can.

It sounds good to me. On Mondays you could have them watch history related movies. I need to clean on Mondays so I have dc watch subject related dvd's.

In order to not have a revolt on my hands this year, I listed the have to's for my dc on index cards and how much time each took. ThenI had my dc put together the schedule. They had ideas that I had not had and they understand why, what and when we have to do each subject.

I did the same for chores and let them decide who wanted to do what.

Now, we have only done the planning--I am putting together a visual poster for them to see what needs to be done. This is all theory at the moment, but I thought it might help your dc to know what and why the expectations were on them.

HTH

I think you may have scheduled a bit too much.

On Mondays, if they are home with your husband, why don't you sit down with him and see what he is comfortable doing? At the very least, they should have a half day of school.

On Fridays, I would follow the same half-day schedule as Monday, and leave the afternoon open for your activities that you stated in the original post.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday,

I would tweak your schedule a bit just so it is a bit more solid (you have a lot of gaps of 1/2 hr where you let them pick an activity-- I would just chunk them together and let them have a bigger break at once-- IF that works out for you guys!)

7:00 AM - Wake up call

7:30 AM - Breakfast + Bible Time

8:00 AM - Quick 15 minute clean! (Dishes, make sure everything is ready for school, etc.)

7:45 AM - School Begins

8:00 AM - Handwriting/Cursive

8:15 AM - Language Arts

8:45 AM - Reading/Lit

9:15 AM - Break

9:45 AM - AAS

10:10 AM - History

11:10 AM - Break

11: 30 AM - Art / Geography

12:00 PM - Lunch / Free-Time Activity

1:15 PM - Math

2:00 PM - Reading

2:45 PM - Free-Reading or Activity

3:30 PM - School ends.

I think you may have scheduled a bit too much.

On Mondays, if they are home with your husband, why don't you sit down with him and see what he is comfortable doing? At the very least, they should have a half day of school.

On Fridays, I would follow the same half-day schedule as Monday, and leave the afternoon open for your activities that you stated in the original post.

On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday,

I would tweak your schedule a bit just so it is a bit more solid (you have a lot of gaps of 1/2 hr where you let them pick an activity-- I would just chunk them together and let them have a bigger break at once-- IF that works out for you guys!)

7:00 AM - Wake up call

7:30 AM - Breakfast + Bible Time

8:00 AM - Quick 15 minute clean! (Dishes, make sure everything is ready for school, etc.)

7:45 AM - School Begins

8:00 AM - Handwriting/Cursive

8:15 AM - Language Arts

8:45 AM - Reading/Lit

9:15 AM - Break

9:45 AM - AAS

10:10 AM - History

11:10 AM - Break

11: 30 AM - Art / Geography

12:00 PM - Lunch / Free-Time Activity

1:15 PM - Math

2:00 PM - Reading

2:45 PM - Free-Reading or Activity

3:30 PM - School ends.

I like your ideas. Thank You. The only thing I will have to tweak is I have to leave for work around 11:45 so that was why lunch was earlier and I was pushing through some subjects but your schedule seems much less choppy. I like the suggestions about M/F also.

I also planned an hour of math for my 11 yo, 6th grade. Doesn't mean it'll take an hour but she is behind so we have it... We may do a ton then have a little break. Language Arts & Math are the only things we really split up, we'll do everything else together: bible, science, history, art, music.