Menu

I need opinions on R&S Bible

TinaSC

I used grade 5, many years ago, in the late 1990s or maybe early 2000s. I don't remember it very well, but remember at the time I was very pleased with it. I think we switched to CLE because I was using their full homeschooling program. Sorry, it's fuzzy. I have some memory loss problems.

But I wanted to say that it doesn't need to be one or the other. Christian children should have the oppurtunity to do intense Bible study AND devotional studies AND just read AND do crafts AND...

I believe that most Christian children who are required or given the oppurtunity to engage in serious Bible study, will be thankful as adults. My oldest son (24) was never a Christian, but I required him to engage in serious Bible study. He tells me now that the Bible study was the single most useful part of his education and character development.

We use it through grade 5. It's not the only Bible we do but the kids learn the stories backwards and forwards using it. As far as general Bible knowledge I think it's fantastic. It is limited in application, though not totally void of it. But it cements the basic stories of the entire Bible, names, places, etc. and I love it for that.

For those that have used it, do you think R&S would be a good introduction/study for a non-Christian? I'm wanting my son to do a bible study along with ancient history but haven't found anything without devotionals and an assumption that the person reading is already Christian.

I think in the background there's a feeling that the curriculum makers were gearing it towards Christian children. It takes a clear stand that the Bible is true, talks of God in terms of Him being true, etc. It's not neutral in that way. But it is 97% focused on the stories instead of practical application until more towards the 6th grade. And that's when we stop using it as we don't hold the same beliefs about some things that the mennonite makers of the curriculum do :)

• Like 1

Ah, thanks. The assumption that it's all true doesn't bother me a bit, but the "how do you apply God's word to your life" type questions that are in most bible studies are not for us.

I wish I could find something that explored the bible from a historical/archeological standpoint and asked questions/gave information about the time period it was written in. So frustrating!

Ah, thanks. The assumption that it's all true doesn't bother me a bit, but the "how do you apply God's word to your life" type questions that are in most bible studies are not for us.

I wish I could find something that explored the bible from a historical/archeological standpoint and asked questions/gave information about the time period it was written in. So frustrating!

You may want to check out Memoria Press's Christian Studies; it is not geared to a particular denomimation, and its intent is to get students familiar with the major Bible stories (the who, what, where and when--no personal application). They prefer to let the school/parents put their own doctrinal spin on things.

• Like 1