Menu

Which History

For 2nd and 3rd grade should we study World History or US History?

I think it depends on which method of teaching you use. I read my state requirements and they do a combination of both so I have decided to include them both but it depends on your method classical or not-so-classical method. The Classical Method according to Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp list the following.

Classical method

Ancient History -- Grades 1,5, and 9

Medieval History -- Grade 2, 6, and 10

Renaissance to early modern history --Grades 3,7, and 11

Modern History --- Grades 4,8, and 12

The Not-so-classical method combines a bit of US history with every level in addition to the classical method with each year getting more informative.

I hope I did not confuse you the book goes into more detail if you want to check it out or purchase it.

Options:

1. The four year history cycle ala WTM as the previous poster listed.

2. A combination or world and US history (Core Knowledge Curriculum does this for an example)

3. US history younger moving toward four year cycle at around 4th grade (Heart of Dakota and MFW take this approach I believe).

I decided to do US history in 1st and 2nd, a one year overview of world history in late 2nd through 3rd grade, then starting the four year cycle around 4th. I have a friend who is starting the four year cycle in 2nd grade. I'd do what seems best to you--I really don't think there is a "should" on this personally.

For 2nd and 3rd grade should we study World History or US History?

either one is fine. We did US last year and will jump back into World this year. Unless you have some sort of reporting requirement, you get to choose. There isn't a right or wrong. ;)