Menu

For those who use TWSS,

Targhee

what else do you use to complete your "language arts"? I'm am working on curriculum for my 4th grader who loathes the physical task of writing (fine motor issues we're constantly working on), so I'd like to find grammar/spelling/literature, that isn't writing-heavy, to complete her language arts. What do you use?

We are going to start using IEW-TWSS this year, with the SWI for writing.

Grammar: Rod and Staff English (though I will only do the grammar part and not the writing assignments since there is plenty of writing in IEW).

Spelling: Spelling Power. Not many people us it on this forum, but I am getting excellent results with it, and it only takes me five minutes of teaching and my kids about ten extra practice work.

Reading: I pick books from the Sonlight "advanced readers" and the Veritas Press lists which have been excellent. I have my kids read them out loud to me, about 20 minutes per day, plus do other silent reading independently.

Literature: I pick out books that correlate with our history, biographies and stories about scientists that correlate with The Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence, and other classic books from lists such as Honey for a Child's Heart, Epi Kardi, and Veritas Press. I am looking at getting All Through the Ages History and Literature Guide as well. My husband mostly reads these aloud to the kids at bedtime.

We are also starting Dynamic Literacy WordBuild for vocabulary, (Evan-Moor) Skill Sharpeners Reading Workbook, and WWE. This is probably overkill, but we need a lot of work with reading comprehension and vocabulary, so I am adding in these extra things.

The choices are endless for language arts, and there are many great programs. It takes extra work to hand pick a curriculum for your kids, but I find that it is worth it to put together an individualized program that meets my kids' needs and challenges them appropriately.

Hope your year goes well.

Shurley Grammar and All About Spelling involve a lot of oral work (and some kinesthetic/visual for AAS), not just writing. Maybe that will help?

For my DD going into grade 3, we are doing the following for language arts:

-- Shurley Grammar 3

-- IEW All Things Fun and Fascinating (a spinoff of the TWSS but with source texts provided)

-- All About Spelling

-- Helping younger sister with IEW PAL games, most of which are phonics based and a good review

-- Copywork (we do Bible verses, catechism, and poetry)

We use TWSS and Ancient History Theme Based writing lessons.

Grammar - I skipped grammar this year (we'd done Shirley 1 and FLL 4), because we started Latin and I thought it would be overkill.

Spelling - I'm not doing formal spelling with my oldest, it hasn't been necessary. We've used Natural Speller in the past.

Reading - I keep a lot of books around. I have them do narration with whatever they're reading. Required reading hasn't been an issue. For my 1st grader, I do have scheduled VP's Vol. 2 reading guides, but just until she is a stronger reader.

I choose books from Sonlight, VP, Honey for a Child's Heart and Book Tree.

Literature - I choose read-alouds that correspond to our history studies. But also read good fiction that's completely unrelated. For history selections I use VP and also Christine Miller's All Through the Ages.

Penmanship - I make up cursive worksheets for the kids. Lessons are done completely with pen and ink. It is the only time I hassle them about their handwriting.

My son's brain moves faster than his hand when it's writing time, so I will often scribe for him, and allow him to type out his assignments.

HTH,

Leah

Thanks for the suggestions! I've considered AAS because DD is NOT a natural speller, and I think she (and DS who will be in 1st) will like the multi-sensory approach.

For literature, do you just use the book suggestions from the the programs mentioned (VP, etc) and read them, or do you do lit study/comprehension as well?

toddandleah, I've thought about doing Latin instead of grammar (ala LCC) but I guess I'm a bit nervous to take the plunge and ditch grammar entirely. How has it worked for you? Do you think they're really getting the grammar they need?

Language Arts for dd8

Grammar - R&S( mostly orally with workbook page when applicable) and some light grammar in Trail Guide to Learning

Writing - IEW TWSS and Killgallon (doing a lot of this on the whiteboard with me as her scribe). Additional writing in TGTL but TWSS writing takes precedence.

Reading and Vocab - CLE Reading (this is beginning lit study and comprehension. Much of this can be done orally as well). Additional reading and word study in TGTL.

Literature - working through Ambleside lists (Socratic discussions) and lit from TGTL.

Spelling - included in Trail Guide to Learning.

Poetry - The Harp and Laurel Wreath

Copywork and Dictation used to enforce spelling, vocab, writing and grammar.

We are heavy on the LA.:D

For literature, do you just use the book suggestions from the the programs mentioned (VP, etc) and read them, or do you do lit study/comprehension as well?

toddandleah, I've thought about doing Latin instead of grammar (ala LCC) but I guess I'm a bit nervous to take the plunge and ditch grammar entirely. How has it worked for you? Do you think they're really getting the grammar they need?

For Literature: My kids are still relatively young (8, 6), so I don't have a whole lot of independent reading for history/science. I still expect to read most of the materials to them, and then they narrate back to me. Usually the books I choose from VP, etc I plan to read aloud to them. For my younger kiddo, I've scheduled (assigned) books that I want her to read, and I plan on using VP's literature guide. It has comprehension questions and activities. I will usually purchase books that are on their reading level and keep them on the shelf. My son took to reading like a fish to water, so I haven't had to push him in this area. If it's on the shelf it will end up in his room even if it's out of his league. I schedule quiet reading times for all the kids, even those who aren't reading yet.

I was nervous too about dropping grammar (and <gulp> even spelling) this year. I didn't want the teaching of Latin to fall solely on me, so I went with the Latin for Children, the full DVD package. I'm really surprised at how easy it has actually turned out. My son (8) is able to do much of it independently. Do you have any experience with a foreign language? (Spanish, French, Italian) - if so, it's really not so bad, because you're already familiar with conjugating verbs. And of course there are so many ties with English vocabulary. We're about halfway through the first book, and starting on sentence patterns, labeling the parts. The first half of the book is largely learning vocabulary, but also introducing the whole idea of conjugations and declensions. We also started the history reader, and it's going really well.

Since we're doing TWSS, it has afforded plenty of opportunity to work on grammar and spelling as well, but of course in the context of our writing. Are you on the IEW families yahoo group? They have a whole section on grammar, probably on the IEW website as well. Next year we plan to use Fix It. I think that they are getting enough Grammar from Latin. I can just hear my kid groaning to have to diagram sentences in Latin and English. Not that, anything but that!:D

Take care,

Leah

For literature, whether it is a book the kids are reading aloud to me or I am reading to them, I ask them oral reading comprehension questions. I did buy a VP literature guide for the Chronicles of Narnia this year, but I plan on doing that orally, too.

Another thing you can do is to use a white board for some of the writing. We do most of our spelling and some of our grammar on the white board with markers or dry erase crayons. My son (who doesn't like writing) will write a lot more on the white board, I think because it has less friction and is easier on his "poor, tired hand," or maybe because it is just more fun.