Menu

Cuisinaire Discovery Book

boscopup

So I'm trying to print out the Cuisinaire Discovery Book for preschoolers to use before Miquon, and I'm confused. It doesn't appear to be in proper order to do double sided printing. What order is it in, anyway? :confused: I tried following the directions to print the first page on card stock, then I did the rest double sided on regular paper. Was I supposed to do the first two pages double sided on card stock, then the rest on regular paper? The file just doesn't seem to make sense at all.

So I'm trying to print out the Cuisinaire Discovery Book for preschoolers to use before Miquon, and I'm confused. It doesn't appear to be in proper order to do double sided printing. What order is it in, anyway? :confused: I tried following the directions to print the first page on card stock, then I did the rest double sided on regular paper. Was I supposed to do the first two pages double sided on card stock, then the rest on regular paper? The file just doesn't seem to make sense at all.

You shouldn't do double-sided. Chop the book in half, and then organize. I actually copied the lot on heavier paper, collated, then used a clip. I felt it better to have the game sheets loose and on thicker paper.

You shouldn't do double-sided. Chop the book in half, and then organize. I actually copied the lot on heavier paper, collated, then used a clip. I felt it better to have the game sheets loose and on thicker paper.

Oh, ok!

Strange the order that the book is in. :tongue_smilie:

I printed it double sided and folded the whole stack in half to make a booklet, which I stapled in the center. The trick was to be very careful about the direction I put the paper back into the printer, because the document is landscape rather than portrait. It took more than one try :tongue_smilie: but eventually it worked.

I reprinted some of the pages for ds to use flat.

You're teaching math??? :tongue_smilie:

Bill :D

:lol: I think this falls in the realm of geometry, which I never cared for (got B's even, since I didn't do my homework, though I still got 100s on the tests :D). I'd much rather solve algebra equations or do derivatives or integrals.

Now that I'm looking at it more, I can see where it could potentially work... I'll have to figure out how to turn the page. It's clearly not how the printer said to do it, but I'm used to printing portrait via manual duplex, not landscape. And maybe my printer did say how to do it and I didn't read the instructions... That's always possible. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I looked at it again, and apparently the pages are correct, except one side is upside down. So I need to not turn it around before putting it back in the tray. I'll try that in the morning when everyone isn't asleep. ;)

Should I print it all on card stock? I have plenty.

Printed it out this morning, and it worked fabulously! I just had to NOT turn it when putting it back in for the second side.

It's now laminated, cut, trimmed, and spiral bound (Pro-click). DS2 did some of the first activities, and he's pretty good at guessing which rod will fit in the spot on the picture. :)

Printed it out this morning, and it worked fabulously! I just had to NOT turn it when putting it back in for the second side.

It's now laminated, cut, trimmed, and spiral bound (Pro-click). DS2 did some of the first activities, and he's pretty good at guessing which rod will fit in the spot on the picture. :)

One of the Miquon lab pages has outlines of rods splayed out all over a page (they look as if they were "spilled" randomy"). I made a bunch of variations on the theme. The disordered nature of the arrangement and angles of the outlines seemed to add a pleasant amount of spatial challenge.

I outlined rods (which can cause them to get pencil dirt on them) but other posters have mentioned that there are C Rod templates available. Who knew?

Measuring the lengths with a centimeter ruler is a worthwhile activity too.

Bill