Menu

I'm going to try something crazy (for me).

We're going to school at the table.

:svengo:

Our family is a big, happy pile of ADD ("ADHD-Inattentive, whaddevah), so we school wherever and whenever the fancy strikes us--living room floor, on my bed, recliner, sprawled out wherever we happen to be. However, I have noticed that the environment really helps dd focus. She sits and attends very well at, say, church, where she sits in the same seat in the same room with high expectations. So I'm going to try & sit at the big kitchen table & do our schooling there.

I will go a little insane. Sitting still & being consistent is, ummm, not my thing.

Have I ever told you you make me laugh? Maybe it's just because I can so totally relate. It's funny how something so "normal" is so foreign to us. Good luck with schooling at the table. I think I would drive my son crazy with the "tap, tap, tapping" I do if forced to hold still for too long.

Have I ever told you you make me laugh? Maybe it's just because I can so totally relate. It's funny how something so "normal" is so foreign to us. Good luck with schooling at the table. I think I would drive my son crazy with the "tap, tap, tapping" I do if forced to hold still for too long.

:lol:

We tried it. She tried so hard to NOT sit at the table. She objected (mildly). She suggested the bed instead. She sat ON the table. She said her chair was too sticky. She said MY chair was too sticky for us to sit there. She stood on her chair instead. Finally she worked at the table while standing in front of her chair. :rolleyes: But it did help! She banged out a ton of reading & writing and now we're taking a snack break before math. I worked with both dds at once (one on each side) to keep from going stir crazy. I also made us start taking our fish oil again, LOL.

Oooooo fish oil, what does that do?

It helps with ADD/ADHD, one of the few "alternative" treatments that actually has some evidence behind it. It appears to be the omega-3s that help the most. Doesn't hurt, anyway. 500-1000mg for a kid, 1000-2000mg for an adult.

I still have some Udo's that Richelle made me get:ack2::leaving: Maybe I'll give it another go and I'll stop putting the butter in the cupboard and the peanut butter in the fridge and forgetting to put the paddles in the bread machine:lol:

We school at the table. My DD's are not ADD or anything like that and she still sits ON the table LOL. She dances around the table, she gets up from her seat, she stands in her seat on all fours like a dog....it's like there are ants in her pants. I know for a fact that she wouldn't do this in a classroom. She doesn't do this at church, homeschool group, or vision therapy. I don't know why she chooses to torture me like this LOL.

It helps with ADD/ADHD, one of the few "alternative" treatments that actually has some evidence behind it. It appears to be the omega-3s that help the most. Doesn't hurt, anyway. 500-1000mg for a kid, 1000-2000mg for an adult.

Oh, boy - do we ever need to get back to the fish oil! We usually get the lemon flavored kind (Carlson brand) and my oldest dd has convinced the youngers that it's a special treat, and they all beg for a spoonful when I take the bottle out of the fridge. :lol: