Menu

Does anyone print TOG-DE entirely?

sahm99

We just got a new laser printer...and I am tempted:001_huh:.

We'll be starting Y2 in a month, and I think I might enjoy having the whole thing in my hand, as opposed to combing through the curriculum on the screen and decide on a need-base what to print...

I was thinking of maybe printing the whole year (or start with a Unit) and then spiral-bind each week individually.

Btw, we do not live in the US, so buying the Print-edition from Tapestry is really expensive (shipping...).

Thanks for your thoughts.

a friend of mine just did that very thing...printed out the whole first unit of year three on a laser printer. She did an analysis of the cost and found that the printing / shipping costs were more than if she prints it herself.

I had the opposite experience. But I have an ink jet printer. I printed out U1 of Y3. I used 2 ink cartridges to do it. Plus my printer died. So, that one unit also included the cost of a new printer.:glare: To print the next 3 units, I figured it would have cost me $200 to print based on the amount of ink my printer uses. To have Staples print it for me, $1.17 a sheet. :eek: TOG to print my DE version out for those 3 units was only 5 cents a sheet. Much less expensive!!!!

Maybe I need to invest in a laser printer. Sound like I'd come out better. Are you printing in color or B/W?

...I did it...printing right now:001_smile:.

I would not have done it with an ink printer, but with laser it shouldn't be too bad...

To limit costs, I am using duplex printing and using the lowest print quality (less dense).

And, yes, I am printing in color...:tongue_smilie:

I am still wondering whether I should put every unit into one big binder, or spiral-bind by week...???:confused:

I always get the DE plus Print - if I didn't get their printed copy, I'd definitely print it out myself. I put all the pages in my teacher's binders with page protectors. I prefer to have their printed copy because it's in color and on both sides of the page - my printer is not reliable enough to do that consistently - it frequently takes up 2 pages at once :glare:.

I organize mine by unit - with the page protectors it takes a minimum 3" heavy duty binder per unit, but 4" would've worked better for Y3.

...I did it...printing right now:001_smile:.

I would not have done it with an ink printer, but with laser it shouldn't be too bad...

To limit costs, I am using duplex printing and using the lowest print quality (less dense).

And, yes, I am printing in color...:tongue_smilie:

I am still wondering whether I should put every unit into one big binder, or spiral-bind by week...???:confused:

Feels good to hold in your hand, doesn't it??? ;)

I spent the weekend doing some planning, and I just loved seing the big picture of the whole year and flipping through the whole year. I hope to have a little more time to plan Unit 2 today.

I bought the DE because we'd recently bought a laser printer. I calculated that it cost me about $.025/page to print TOG. That doesn't include the cost of the printer itself since we already had it, but does include the cost of the new cartridge and reams of paper I had to buy. I think it's a better deal for me in the long run and allows me to easily print off extra copies of student pages for each of my kids.

I ordered it printed from TOG because with the Y1 hybrid option because at the time it was only $25 or so (plus shipping) more than just the DE. It's hard for me to imagine working without both, so I definitely would laser print it at home if that were my best option. I saw on here a few months back where one mom who has been using TOG for a while printed her DE version onto colored pages and had some tips and a cost breakdown. I can see that being useful if you have kids in different stages and seemed like a great visual way to get around just using b&w ink. Of course, I can't find the link to the thread now...

Nevermind, found it: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243800