Menu

Cat People...Please Help!

Actually, I'm a cat person, too, but I'm stumped about this one.

My 13 year old dear, sweet, most-well-behaved-kitty ever has recently started the MOST annoying thing and I have no idea how to stop it. Every day at 6:38 am she stands outside my door and scratches scratches scratches on it to get in. Actually, she has no claws so it's just her pads, but it sounds like sandpaper against the door and drives me insane! I figured if I just let her do it long enough and just ignore her she'll go away, eventually figure out that I'm not opening it, and stop doing it entirely. It isn't working.

Any suggestions what might be causing this, and what I might be able to do to get her to stop? I need to sleep later than 6:38 am. Really.

Leave the door open for her?

I am afraid that cats often have waaaayyy more persistence than I do when it comes to little habits like this. Tape aluminum foil on the door? They don't like to scratch on that, usually. It's my only idea.

I know the noise you mean, though...my cat does have claws but every night "scratches" the door to the basement, without using her claws. She just wants us to open it for her so she can go down. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't...it's true what they say about intermittent reinforcement being the strongest kind.

Leave the door open for her?

I am afraid that cats often have waaaayyy more persistence than I do when it comes to little habits like this. Tape aluminum foil on the door? They don't like to scratch on that, usually. It's my only idea.

I know the noise you mean, though...my cat does have claws but every night "scratches" the door to the basement, without using her claws. She just wants us to open it for her so she can go down. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't...it's true what they say about intermittent reinforcement being the strongest kind.

I used to leave the door open, but she like to be ON me, all the time. And she kneads. So for the last 2 or 3 years she hasn't been allowed to sleep in my room at night. The sleeping situation isn't a new one, but her behavior absolutely is. UGH.

Hadn't thought of the aluminum foil thing, though. I'm giving it a try tonight! Thanks!

Just a thought since she's older...maybe she's physically uncomfortable and/or a bit cold. Any chance you could try a memory foam bed placed outside the door of your room? Maybe something really comfy that will hold in some of her body heat will help.

Ria

Just a thought since she's older...maybe she's physically uncomfortable and/or a bit cold. Any chance you could try a memory foam bed placed outside the door of your room? Maybe something really comfy that will hold in some of her body heat will help.

Ria

That sounds sweet!! Our kitty we put in the bathroom each night, and the older cat we try to make sure she's inside. Soon enough the kitty will be let out, but not on me ;) During the day his favorite spot is on the other side of my laptop ;)