Menu

Expectations for My Students

RootAnn

I'd like to have posted on our wall the expectations for this school year. Do any of you have this written/compiled already for your students & want to share some ideas?

For example:

- All final copies of written assignments will be in cursive.

or

- Incorrect work must be corrected and rechecked before moving onto a new lesson. (grammar, math)

or

- Whining and complaining will result in additional work being assigned.

:bigear:

Umm...do you have "students" other than your own children?? Never really heard of a HSing family call their children their "students".

The rules....well, they seem a bit, well, schoolish (well, not the rules themselves, but the fact that they would be posted on the wall, and then it would be expected that the child would just know to follow them). Couldn't you just tell and teach your children your expectations? It usually only takes a few times of being reminded for them to get into the swing of things, once they realize what the expectations are.

Just sayn'.

Edited by Samiam

In my experience, there is a difference between "expectations" and "procedures", though they often get grouped together. I would suggest that your list belongs to the procedures category, and could be put together on a paper that goes in the front of a binder or folder.

I do like the idea of posting expectations, and I've tried several different formats in the past:

Be prepared, be attentive, be respectful.

Respect for People,

Respect for Learning,

Respect for Things.

or, Respect Yourself, Respect Others, Respect Our Classroom.

Respect others.

Follow directions the first time.

Do your best every day in everything.

(You get the idea, and I sound like a broken record).

Harry Wong (very well respected in public education circles) describes a rule as an "invitation to be broken". You could even work with your kids to create expectations together. This helps kids to accept responsibility more easily when their behavior falls short.

And, I remember hearing or reading someone say that expectations are meant to be exceeded, while procedures can only be met. (For example, can you exceed in putting your name on your paper?) You decide what's most important and put that on your wall.

Jessica

Assuming you are talking about your older kids, I would expect them to be able to remember a short list of repetitive chores.

I would be tempted to sit down and have a conversation about how they are old enough to remember to make bed, brush teeth, brush hair, and get dressed every morning before coming down, and you expect them to do so. Ask, "now what are the things you need to do tomorrow before you come down?"

Then first thing in the morning, "don't forget to do your work before you come down for breakfast. What are the 4 things you need to do?"

Then when they come down "what were the 4 things? Did you do all 4?"

I would try to refrain from continuing to provide the answers. It's easy for them to just ask rather than think. Transfer that responsibility to them. When they ask, say "I want you to think about it. You were supposed to remember 4 things. What do you think they are?" If they can't remember, ask a younger sibling "can you help NAME remember the things that she needs to do in the mornings?" Somehow, when my olders realize that my youngest knows, they are embarrassed not to know and it is easier to remember! Or you could say "go look at yourself in the mirror and see if you can remember what you forgot. And look at your room as well to see if there is anything you see that needs to be done."

I would try to go in with an attitude of working with them rather than "why can't you remember"...

You might find it useful to write a family educational mission statement.

http://harvestministry.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/TWGHW2-CH1-FINDING_YOUR_MISSION.pdf

And also use curricula that comes with rubrics or make up your own.

http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/Writing-Rubrics.html

Spalding and Step Up to Writing have some posters you might find interesting to look at.

http://spalding.org/store/posters.php

http://www.maureenauman.com/Products/Posters.html

Edited by Hunter