Menu

Need advice what to do next in math.

Guest traceinguyen

Guest traceinguyen

Hi, this is my first time to post in the forum. I really enjoy reading comments and advices from everybody. Here is my situation and I need advice. My 5 yr old son is a rising kindergartener. However, I've been homeschooling him for about a year. Right now, he is able to do multiple addition and substraction comfortably. He has been learn about multiplication for that last 2 months and he has a good graps of multiplication concepts. He has been using it almost everyday in life and seems to enjoy it alot. He has his multiplication facts down pretty good, and has been asking me to teach him division. He has taught him self division of 2 by using the concept like "half of 18 is 9". Should I proceed to multiple digits multiplication or should I go ahead and teach him division? Thank you very much for your input!

Guest traceinguyen

I have all the books from Singapore math, MUS, math mammoth. HOwever, I do not really follow any curriculum, those are like references, and I choose whatever work for us. So far it works beautifully that way. Thanks for your reply!

That sounds just like my son. He picked up math so quickly. We started Kindergarten work a year early (he was still 5, but he misses the cutoff by a few weeks here.) I did not use a full curriculum in Kindergarten, I used a variety of workbooks and problems I made up. I love math! We started covering multiplication and division a little, but I was more concerned with drilling the basic addition and subtraction facts before getting to double digit multiplication.

Does he do double digit addition and subtraction with regrouping yet? Can he tell time? Can he do basic measurement and read graphs and charts?

These are all fun new skills you can teach while solidifying the basic facts. My son did not like drill, so we moved onto double digit addition before his addition facts were second nature, but he continued to practice that skill.

For first grade, I tested him and looked very carefully at what he did and did not know on the placement tests before I decided on the level of Singapore purchase. You need a guide. Get What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know and make sure you have covered all of those topics byt the end of the year (for math). I am glad I did not use a set curriculum for Kindergarten, it allowed be to really play around and see what he knew and understood, then I could more accurately test him for first grade.

Guest traceinguyen

He can do multiple digit addition and subtraction with regrouping. He has been working on challenging word problems that require addition and substraction with 2-3 digit numbers with regrouping. One of the word problems website that I like best is http://www.mathplayground.com/wpdatabase/wpindex.html. He can tell time to minutes and do the elapse time. Actually I also use the beestar regular and gifted math so that he can do for fun. He can do easily 1st grade math. We are doing summer session of the 1st grade math on beestar and will do the 2nd grade math in fall.

I have the blocks from MUS and have been using that and also things around the house to introduce the new concept to him. After he understands the concept, he not really need manipulatives to solve problem.

I love hearing from you guys.:)