Menu

Hi...

I'm relatively new to well-trained mind materials, but definitely like what we've seen/used thus far.

1st grade (last year) - we used 1st grade portion of First Language Lessons

Questions for 2nd grade (this fall):

1st... I'm confused what I need to order for grammar... I have the original 1st language lessons book, so I guess I'll use the 2nd grade portion for 2nd grade... but now that it has been separated into 2 books, will we miss anything by using the older text? Should I buy the new book too??

2nd... We didn't know about the Writing with Ease series until after the school year was over, so now I'm wondering do I need to go through both workbook 1 and 2 during 2nd grade? Also, what is in the Writing with Ease text vs. the Writing with Ease workbooks... is there duplicate information in the Writing with Ease text?

I'd like to thank you in advance for reading this and taking the time to respond! Much appreciated!!!

Julie

Hi...

I'm relatively new to well-trained mind materials, but definitely like what we've seen/used thus far.

1st grade (last year) - we used 1st grade portion of First Language Lessons

Questions for 2nd grade (this fall):

1st... I'm confused what I need to order for grammar... I have the original 1st language lessons book, so I guess I'll use the 2nd grade portion for 2nd grade... but now that it has been separated into 2 books, will we miss anything by using the older text? Should I buy the new book too??

2nd... We didn't know about the Writing with Ease series until after the school year was over, so now I'm wondering do I need to go through both workbook 1 and 2 during 2nd grade? Also, what is in the Writing with Ease text vs. the Writing with Ease workbooks... is there duplicate information in the Writing with Ease text?

I'd like to thank you in advance for reading this and taking the time to respond! Much appreciated!!!

Julie

1. I believe only very minor changes were made when the books were separated, so you can teach perfectly well from the old book without buying the new Level 2.

2. WWE is less grade-dependent - it's okay for your second grader to be using WWE1. My upcoming third grader will be using WWE2 for the first part of the school year. If you want to find your own passages for the WWE technique, then the textbook is your best option. If you want passages selected and everything laid out for you, open and go, go with the workbooks. You don't need both.

After looking at the original book I have for FLL... it looks like it will overlap some with the WWE series. Is it overkill to do both?? Should we only use the WWE1 and drop the FLL for second grade?

Thanks so much for your help!

Julie

FLL is grammar, and WWE is writing. If you are using both you can omit the copywork/dictation/narration in FLL. HTH!

Everyone is going to have different opinions (which is the reason I value this board so much), but I would definitely say you need WWE 1. I wish I could help you with grammar, but at that age dd9 was using GWG. We just made the switch to FLL this year.

hth