Menu

What are my options for literature in historical context?

I am hoping to find a book, or novel guides that expand on the historical context of a novel. We already own Invitation to the Classics, and I am looking at the Excellence in Literature guides. What are my other options?

Thanks!

We have a big city library with several translations of most year one and year two WTM history/literature books. I like to take out more than one version and look over the introduction. I also like the older editions (pre-1975ish) of Cliffs notes; those tend to be more traditional in their approach to a work.

Many editions of the classics come with helpful footnotes. Another guide/set of papers may not be necessary for each book.

Sparknotes, Cliff's Notes, Glencoe Literature Library -- all are free online lit. guides that give background info on the author and the times.

Some editions of classics (for example, the publisher Penguin) have lengthy introductions, special articles, etc. with lots of information on the author and/or the times in which the work was written.

Also, check out free articles from Wikipedia Online Encyclopediaon specific authors and works -- these often contain links to further articles on related literature movements, historical events, etc.

"The Reader's Companion to World Literature" is a single volume with A to Z listings (short paragraph to a page or two long) on: authors, titles, literary movements, historical periods, and technical terms & phrases (such as themes and symbols in specific works).

And, of course, you can always do a google search on a specific author, work, or time period for all kinds of links...

Here are 2 possible sites (no personal experience) that I just uncovered with a google search:

The Ursula C. Schwerin Library has a "Literature in Context Online" option for a number of classic works: "Users can both enrich and expand their understanding of the historical, social and cultural context that shaped classic literature. Literature in Context Online is a rich collection of primary source material, additional readings and commentary. It features glossaries, Multimedia Resources, primary source material, study questions, timelines, teacher resources, web links, and search by keyword or primary document."

Mid Continent Public Library has a similar resource, but it would require signing up for a library card in order to access the online resource. Here is the description: "This resource contains historical documents, timelines, glossaries, and commentary to help today's reader understand the historical, social, and cultural context that shaped classic literature. It features some of the most studied novels in the classroom."

Edited by Lori D.
added links

I have a book titled "Let the Authors Speak" by Carolyn Hatcher. http://www.amazon.com/Let-Authors-Speak-Historical-Setting/dp/0964068125/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311209126&sr=1-1

It sorts by setting (century and continent/country), author and title. It also provides reading levels and includes elementary through adult books (uh, like Plato's - The Republic). I purchased this for under $20 many moons ago.

Edited by bugs
spelling

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! These suggestions are very helpful :D I'd like my dd to do a short context paper for some of her literature assignments this year, but I was drawing a blank as to how to go about getting her started!

Edited by JEJE