Menu

Creative Graduation Party

I love parties. I'm a little weighed down w/dd#1's high school right now, so I'd like to think about something more fun (we're waaaaay far away from graduation -- I just like the topic.)

What's are some fun/creative ideas for a graduation party?

• A poster of her highschool experiences
  • A photobook - like a homeschool year book
  • a laptop with scrolling pictures
  • a cd of her favorite music

what else??

At my niece's graduation party last year, we had so much fun with those paper cups that have noses printed on them. It was such a simple thing but it provided much fun and there are still pictures surfacing on facebook from that party all because of those cups. My kids have decided that they want something similar at their party. I think it will be a fun way get a LOT of pictures of those who attend as well as just providing entertainment value.

We made a balloon arch (like they do for proms and such) and had all the guests pose for pictures with our daughter.

She collects rubber duckies. So, we bought a bunch of little ones wearing mortarboards and used them to decorate tables. We also had people take them home as favors.

And I found three BIG rubber duckies. I made mortarboard hats for them, too, and they served as centerpieces on the food tables.

We had a "notes" station where we set up a decorated shoebox with a slit in the top and lots of different papers and markers and stickers and anything else we could think of. Guests then wrote little notes to our daughter and stuck them in the box. She took the box with her to her freshman year in college and read a note now and then when she needed a smile.

We made presentation boards (like the ones people use for science fair projects). One had photos of her homeschooling journey. Another was all about her performing experience. And we made one more with photos and information about the college she would be attending in the fall.

We also put up some of her best projects from the last couple of years.

We played her favorite music (mostly Broadway soundtracks) and had her favorite foods.

When we presented her diploma, after we talked a little, she opted to sing a song from one of her favorite musicals instead of giving a speech.

Dd's graduation and ceremony and celebration were wrapped up into one event. We invited 50 people (relatives and close friends). She wanted a formal evening so my mom made her a gorgeous evening down, dh wore his tuxedo, I had an evening gown, and our boys all had black suits.

She sang "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera as a solo, played a concert arrangement of "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring", played a 4-hands one piano Diabelli duet with me, sang a duet with her dad, and we had a special speaker. At the end of the program, we presented her with her diploma (we ordered it online, gold embossed, engraved presentation folder, etc.), and gave her a dozen long stem roses. We had elegant finger-foods for the guests, and in our dining room, we had tri-fold poster boards set up with pictures, awards, etc. When most of the guests had left and just her closest friends and family were still around, we had some ballroom - well, attempted ballroom as my sister is the only one that has ever taken lessons - dancing in the living room. It was a lovely evening.

Our next to graduate, four years from now, already knows what he'd like to do. He is into art and very specifically, mechanical drawings although he does do other art. He's quite talented. So, he wants a gallery showing. We'll push most of the furniture out of the way and set up large boards, art easels, etc. with his art everywhere and he will mingle with his guests for a couple of hours explaining his work and letting them ask questions. This will be after a very short graduation ceremony.

We have two more to consider. One wants something outdoors at a local farm with barbecue foods...very western themed and all about his love of animals. We'll have to flesh that out. The other ds wants to do a rocket show and fly-in - he's going to end up being a true rocketry expert - plus some sort of presentation on astronomy. He'd like to begin before dark, fly his daytime rockets, put his night-time lighted flyers up after dusk, and then get out the 10" telescope after dark and do a night-sky presentation. He's only a 6th grader - yes, he's already planning what he wants to do - so we have some time.

Faith

If you're tech savvy you can create your own video/photo booth..the Ipad has a photobooth application now that is really cool! You design a booth (saw one on a wedding show...it was so neat!) and rig up the video camera so when people hit a button it starts recording a short message to your daughter of good wishes...they can also make funny pictures...I'm sure there are plenty of tips on how they run online. Need to have a printer attached and hidden in there for them to get their pics.

I actually tape this show called "four weddings" for good ideas on creative food ideas and found the one above there..

If you can find some of her earlier art pieces (one for each year), it's nice to put a montage to see how her mind/interests changed through the years...same for her writings, you could have "Musings of ...." and guests can read through a book of her writings...