Menu

What sources do your children use for research papers? Search engines? Books?

This seems like a simple question, but I am curious. Do they use search engines? Do they use reference material the "old-fashioned way" (e.g. encyclopedia books)?

My daughter is 13yo and hasn't done many research papers as of yet. As I realize this needs rectification asap, I am aware of my own insecurities with how to help her learn to do it. I realized my problem with it stems from the generational gap: I grew up being dropped off at the library for hours or using the library at my school (I was not homeschooled). With the Internet being so prevalent nowadays, I am unsure how to teach her how to get accurate information. As an adult I can weave my way through Internet sites, being able to depict, for the most part, what is viable information and what is not. But how to teach this to a child is difficult.

What do you guys do? Do you pay membership fees for sites such as Britannica? Do you purchase reference materials (encyclopedias and such) to have in your home? Do you buy reference computer programs that you install on your computer? If you wanted your child to cite multiple sources, what are your top, say, 3?

Similarly, how do you teach your children how to search for something online? How do you teach search terms for more accurate information without implying the filth they can find otherwise? What about pop-ups and advertisements that are on the sides and distracting? I guess I'm just not sure how to maneuver through instructing this in an educational, yet vigilant way.

Thanks for any help you can give!

This seems like a simple question, but I am curious. Do they use search engines? Do they use reference material the "old-fashioned way" (e.g. encyclopedia books)?

We use a mix.

For my high schoolers, I require them to use 5 resources for research papers. Their text book, two internet resources, and two other non-internet resources (encyclopedias or other printed resources).

We just discuss what are solid resources and go from there. Dh and our friend who handles the language arts is very good in teaching our twins about resources and where to find them.

There are several books that can help you with writing research papers and using modern resources. Many are geared to high school and college level students. Try googling "research papers and internet" and you will find tons of books.

Edited by AnitaMcC

We're nowhere near having to start teaching this skill yet, but DH and I have talked about it already. Since doing much higher level papers (grad school) requires the ability to track down and use primary sources, we've decided we'll first teach 'the old fashioned way' - hard copy references. As DS gets older and improves his skills, we'll then introduce the online option and how to utilize it with hard copy references that'll take legwork to find and use.

For our research papers we require 5 sources, only three can come from internet...try to make one of them an online magazine, I allow wikipedia for certain sources, but there are some phenomenally wonderful online resources that are much more reliable and interesting. The two other sources are usually books, but periodicals/magazines sometimes jump in there, it just depends on the topic.

I spend a good time on Purdue (OWL) online writing lab site..google it and you'll find everything you need to know about writing! At least for high school purposes! :)

I'd check your local library's website, and see what online resources they have available. In general--although there are exceptions--I recommend to my students (who are first-year college students and so have more of an expectation of using "scholarly" sources) that they only use online sources they can access through our university's library website (newspaper, magazine, and journal articles, and ebooks).

I think the internet is a wonderful way to do research--I did most of my research online during grad school--but you really have to use the right tools. Online databases are a great resource (although you generally need access to a large library's website to access them). Google Scholar, for older students, is very useful. But, I would not recommend doing a general web search when looking for sources. That can be a great way to get preliminary information and to narrow a topic, but when it comes to the sources that are going to be used to make the argument, I'd probably avoid doing a Google search (or any other general web search).

One thing to consider, if you have a local college or university, is contacting them, letting them know that you are a homeschooler living in the community, and seeing if you can get an access ID to their online library resources. That could be a great way to access good sources from your computer at home.