Menu

chest freezer question

My chest freezer will not fit in the house in my new house, so it will be in the garage. It is consistantly over 100 degrees here (yes, I'm whining again :)). Should I wait to turn it on until the temperature comes down to a more reasonable level? I'm just afraid the freezer will burn itself out trying to keep frozen in this heat.

We have a chest freezer in the garage, too. And at least some of the summer has 100-degree-weather. (We're in Iowa, and every day of the next week is expected to be 95+dF).

This is our third summer with the chest freezer. We've had no trouble so far.

1) Make sure the freezer closes tightly. I've started putting a random box on top to keep it closed. You could also lock your freezer to ensure it stays closed. To keep from losing the key, tie it to the wall or a garage shelf with a string that reaches to the lock.

2) Keep your freezer full. If this means filling empty milk jugs with water to fill the empty space, do it. It can double as your emergency water supply if your water is ever compromised. (Our city had 7 water main breaks last summer during flooding. We had non-potable water for nearly a week).

If this is a brand new freezer, then I would be tempted to wait just a few weeks until the worst of the heat is past...if you can afford to wait.