Menu

Men in the women's dressing room?

Today I was trying on clothes at Sears. Inside the fitting room area They have several changing rooms and a smallish, open common area with a chair and a rack to hang clothes you don't want. There is no attendant. The first time I went in,when I was already trying things on, I heard a man and woman's voices. The man was sitting in the chair, and the woman was trying on clothes. (This through a door, INSIDE the fitting room area.)

I'm glad I hadn't walked out in something skimpy or whatever.

The couple was speaking German and obviously European, so I thought it was just a cultural difference. No biggie.

The second time I went in to try something on, there was a couple in there that were in maybe their early 60s. She was trying on clothes and coming out to show him.

I have never seen men in a women's dressing room before. Ever. Is this a new thing, or something I just happened to miss along the way? Btw, I've been shopping at this particular store for 20 or so years.

It's not new to me. I've seen men sitting in the dressing room "area" in the chairs provided, holding their wifes goods, while she tries on clothes. :)

And I don't expect the area outside the actual dressing rooms to be private, that's what the doors/curtains for the dressing rooms are for- so *I* wouldn't ever walk out in something "skimpy".

So many places have generic unisex dressing rooms nowadays (like Target) or the rooms just open onto the store itself (as in many smaller clothing stores). Doesn't bother me... I assume that area is for people to assess what you are wearing after you have changed. The voting area, so to speak!

Most of the places where I shop don't have separate men's and women's dressing rooms anyway. The only place where I assume privacy is in my own "stall". It wouldn't bother me to have a husband waiting outside while his wife tried clothes on. (Though I'd be disturbed if there was a man alone "hanging out" there in the dressing room -- that doesn't seem to be what you described at all though.)