Menu

Lesson Planning Getaway?

I had a fleeting idea that I might stay overnight near our homeschool convention instead of driving home and then back again early the next day. We don't live that far away, about 45 minutes. But I thought it would be nice to get away for the night to pray, research curriculum and start lesson plans for anything that I had purchased. It doesn't look like it will work out but, it got me to thinking....

It would be nice to escape for a day or two to plan lessons without distractions and interruptions. But since all my stuff is already here at home, I started to think it might be better if I stayed home and everyone else left. Now I know that if I leave with my instructor guides and laptop, then I would focus just on that. But if I am at home, I would still be distracted by the pets, the clutter, the unfinished projects, the quiet, etc.

What things have you tried to get some uniterrupted time to really dig into curriculum, read and research, create a course of study for each child, lesson plan, and maybe even make student notebooks or set up workboxes. I haven't yet used a computer based planner or tracker, but it's time. Getting all the data entered would be something I'd want to get done during this time too.

If you've left for a long time, maybe overnight, what did you take with you? I'd be aggravated if there was something I could've used but left home.

If you've stayed home, did you lock yourself in a room? What did the rest of the family do during that time? Was it one long session, or several shorter sessions?

Thank you for helping me to sort this out.

Blessings,

Cathy

For me, it's easier to work in multiple sessions. I can't spend a whole weekend in curricula land. My mind would go to mush at some point, other things would call to me...

I've had good success in the past with my husband taking the kids out for a couple hours in the afternoon on multiple occasions. Now he's involved in the schooling more, so... gee, I don't know. We may have to ship them off to camp. :D

Next week is my planning week. My dh said he'll take the kids out of the apartment in the morning so I can work on filing and prep. We'll see how it goes. He's seen how frazzled I can get so he's willing do anything to help this next year go smoothly. I've had a few "I CAN'T DO EVERYTHING" moments in the last few months so he's VERY eager to help me now! :tongue_smilie:

My plan is to only work on homeschool prep while the kids are gone. I might go to the library or a Starbucks if I need to get out to focus, but hopefully I can stay focused at home and not pay attention to the "house" stuff that needs to be done.

If I'm at home, I'll always find something else to distract me. I go to Starbucks/Barnes & Noble to do long-term planning.

If I've learned one thing, it's to make room for all of life's unexpected happenings. I only plan for the first nine weeks, 45 days, roughly one quarter. I get a better idea of where we are after this, and can re-evaluate goals, etc.

It's never too early to start planning but it sounds like you have a lot on your plate that you would like to accomplish. Try breaking it down by subject, rather than one child at a time. It's less overwhelming when it's broken up into chunks. If you devote 1/2 hour to filing each night you can be done in no time at all.

Good Luck!

My dh takes the boys on a 3 night camping trip every summer and I use that time to do much of my planning. I actually do get quite a bit done, but I write out my schedule for the whole time which includes plenty of pampering, wine and chick flicks. :D

It is much easier for me to do at home so that I have access to the school computer and everything I need. If I tried to go somewhere to do the planning, I'd get so frustrated as soon as I realized I forgot something.