Menu

Silly pet peeve about Singapore Math

One of the standard suggested make it yourself manipulatives for very young kids is an egg carton with two cells removed :), so that kind of diagram isn't all that uncommon even in completely US math books.

We're using a different Singapore series as the textbook/workbook right now, and I think one reason why DD really likes it is that it's not US focused and the illustrations are more "exotic" (that and it uses cute cartoon animals instead of cute cartoon children). I also admit that there are times when I wish I had a "US English to Singapore English" dictionary. The one that seems most grating on me is "Revision" for review and saying "Let's Revise" when they really mean "Let's do more of the same kind of problems." To my US ears, revision is when you look over and change something you've already done, basically a synonym for editing, not when you come back and revisit a topic later.

And then there was the whole estimation in grams debacle, where there were several food items listed that I'm sure were as familiar as Apples or Oranges are to a US child for children in Singapore, but for us, required a trip to an Asian grocery store to have any chance of doing them.