Menu

Read Aloud

Thia

How do you do plan them in your "school?" Do you read for a certain time period? Do you do so many chapters a day? I ask because I decided to do SL's read alouds (I'm actually doing a mix of 1&2...or is it A&B? HA!), but just realized that the outline for them is in the core teacher's guide. I don't need the TG for anything else and am not spending that kind of money on them for just the reading guide. So now, I need to figure it out for myself and I thought to ask the Hive. Input?

I usually do read alouds at breakfast or for afternoon snack time and then again at bedtime. After lunch my son also listens to audiobooks during his mandatory quiet time.

I don't plan for a certain amount of time but it probably adds up to about an hour a day. If we have a stack of new library books or are into a really good chapter book it can go longer.

My girls are still pretty young so we do lots of board books and picture books throughout the day. My 2 year old dd is finally showing an interest in sitting through a complete book! YAY!! So when she picks a book to read either myself or my dd 4 will read it to her.

Also, we do a more structured real aloud time every night before bed. That usually runs 30-45 minutes a night. I always start with one picture/board book and then go to whatever chapter book we are reading. My dd2 loses interest in chapter books so I start with hers so she can wander around quietly while I finish reading to my older daughter.

This is how we do read alouds. If the kids are doing an art project or coloring something for school, I read aloud while they are doing that. We also do some reading aloud before nap and at bedtime. Usually during these times, I read either 1-2 chapters of a book (depending on their interest level) or a couple of short stories. We have family prayer before bed where we pray a decade of the rosary and read a Bible story. I will also sometimes read to them during snack or lunch if there is something we want to get to that day.

I am doing SL the same way as you, but am in the preschool/preK cores. I think the IG is a lot of money and it doesn't give you enough for your money to make it worth the expense. Plus, I had too many of the books already to make it worthwhile to purchase the whole thing. Honestly, you can look at the sample schedules in the IG and go from there or you can look for one used on the for sale board. They are on there all the time. I would just see what works best for you. You can also plan out the year by which topics you want to cover when and then fit in the books as you see fit.