Menu

Will I regret...

mom24boys

not doing phonics after they can read? My 1st grade son tested as 3rd grade. We didn't do phonics last year at all. We did do some when he was 4 and he went to public K so he got some then. We did HOD's Emerging Readers (so reading and comprehension questions) but not phonics last year.

My K son did "The Reading Lesson" and now reads well too. Probably at a 2nd grade level or so. We did not do any additional phonics after TRL. We just practiced reading once we were done with TRL. This year we will do HOD's Emerging Readers.

Will doing AAS cover any gaps? We are going to do that this year for both of them.

Thanks!

Nope.

I took my dd out of school during Easter break of first grade. Her private school had used ABeka. She was reading at what seemed to me to be a good level, so I never did anything else except allow her to read. She turned out fine.

It doesn't even matter whether you do anything official for spelling. Spelling rules and phonics rules are not the same. :-)

If you are doing AAS, I think they will get all the phonics they need.

:iagree: My first grader was reading at an early 4th grade level, but he was stuck on the bigger multisyllable words. We started AAS, and 6 months later, he just finished a book that was grade level 7.3 with ease. His ability to decode multisyllable words is greatly increased now that he knows syllable types and a bunch of phonograms.

what is AAS?

Sorry, it's All About Spelling...a spelling program. http://www.all-about-spelling.com/

I checked the sticky at the top of the forum and it is posted to that. I guess the next time they update the abbreviations list, they will pull from that sticky. I noticed you can "search within a thread" to find it. HTH. =)

Edited by mom24boys

So now I'm curious (new homeschooler dad here). I was going to buy "Modern Curriculum Press’ Spelling Workout" as recommended in the TWTM book, but now this AAS looks real intriguing. I have an 8 and 10 year old. Can someone recommend which one I should use? Both read well, but both are just average (at best) spellers (darn you, public school!)

Both programs look great. :)

So now I'm curious (new homeschooler dad here). I was going to buy "Modern Curriculum Press’ Spelling Workout" as recommended in the TWTM book, but now this AAS looks real intriguing. I have an 8 and 10 year old. Can someone recommend which one I should use? Both read well, but both are just average (at best) spellers (darn you, public school!)

Hi! Start with level one for both. Then go at their individual pace. This is for AAS. :)

I have used both, and my opinion is that AAS is far more enjoyable for my boys... though I am sure there are others with different experiences. It is easy for me, they love it, and we spend about 10-15 minutes per day on it. My oldest just started it in the spring and flew through level 1, which I expected since he had covered much of that material, but I think it is important to start at the beginning to make sure they get it. He will probably fly through level 2 and maybe even 3 when we start up again in a few weeks, but he is learning the rules and he did not know them before, so we are happy with it. Heck, I am learning the rules too, and it is great!

My kids were all early readers (ages 3-4). The first two I taught using "Hop on Pop," "Go Dog Go" and other Dr. Seuss books. I didn't do anything with them after that other than help them sound out a word when they got stuck. They all consistently scored anywhere from 2 to 8 years above grade level.

We also never did spelling because they were naturally good spellers.