Menu

baked pancake that curls on edges

I saw a simple recipe for this in the dr's office (magazine) and committed it to memory. Hah. Flour, eggs, milk---that's all I remember. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Maybe it wasn't baked. :confused:

I make something that sounds like this. I generally use a 9x13 baking dish and melt a little butter in it while the oven preheats to 400. Combine about 1.25 cups of flour (white or whole wheat) with about 1/4 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt. Beat 5 eggs with about 1.25 cups of milk and add it to the dry ingredients and whisk together, then pour into the hot baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes at 400, or till the edges are as brown as you like them. It's a pretty flexible recipe- you can increase the eggs a bit if you like, or make it a little thicker with more flour.

We love this with lemon juice and powdered sugar on top.

The ratio I use is: 1 egg, 1/4C milk, 1/4C flour, pinch of sugar, dash of salt, drop of vanilla per person.

Preheat oven to 425.

Beat the egg(s), whisk in the other ingredients til smooth.

In an iron skillet (I use an 8" skillet for 1-2 eggs, a 12-14" skillet for 2-4 eggs), melt butter (about 1T per egg, though you can use double that and the recipients will just love you more) over high heat. When the skillet is very hot and the butter completely melted and beginning to brown, pour in the batter. Let it sit on the stove for a minute or two as the edges sizzle, then move the skillet to the preheated oven.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the pancake is very puffy and golden brown. (It will fall a bit after you remove it from the oven, and that's okay.)

We like ours best served with fresh squeezed lemon juice and sprinkling of powdered sugar.

For a healthier version, instead of flour, I substitute oats. Throw them in a blender with the milk (salt, sugar -- which you can skip -- and vanilla) and grind 'til smooth. Then pour into the beaten eggs and again, beat (by hand -- not the blender) 'til smooth. Serve with fresh fruit.