Menu

Experience with AttentiveChild from GNC for ADHD?

Does anyone have a child who takes this or has taken it? I'm looking to see what your experience has been (or was) like. We're thinking of trying this for my son since it's cheaper than the homeopathic suggestions from his pediatrician.

I had my son on a different brand same stuff( I need gluten free, dye free, etc). We tried for six months and never saw a difference. I know one mom who swears by it but it didn't work for us.

May I ask what you use now for your son?

We have used Attentive Child for about a year now. It's from Source Naturals, though, not GNC. I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not.

I have seen a significant difference in my two who take it. They are much calmer on it. It has zinc and magnesium, which iI think is one of the reasons it helps.

I tried them on another supplement a few months ago and quickly went back to the AttentiveChild. As long as it works, we'll use it.

I get mine auto shipped from Amazon, so it's not that expensive.

Hope that helps!

Gayle

We have used Attentive Child for about a year now. It's from Source Naturals, though, not GNC. I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not.

I have seen a significant difference in my two who take it. They are much calmer on it. It has zinc and magnesium, which iI think is one of the reasons it helps.

I tried them on another supplement a few months ago and quickly went back to the AttentiveChild. As long as it works, we'll use it.

I get mine auto shipped from Amazon, so it's not that expensive.

Hope that helps!

Gayle

You're right, Gayle, it is Source Naturals. I bought it at GNC, so that is probably why I was thinking "from GNC". How long did it take for you to notice results? Was the transition tough when you went from using it to another supplement and then back to it?

You're right, Gayle, it is Source Naturals. I bought it at GNC, so that is probably why I was thinking "from GNC". How long did it take for you to notice results? Was the transition tough when you went from using it to another supplement and then back to it?

I think we saw results after a couple of weeks. My daughter stopped taking hers once while my mom was babysitting for a few days. She was bouncing off the walls!

This was the first supplement we tried. I foolishly thought we should try something else just to see. Not a good outcome. After about 3 weeks I couldn't take it any more. They both went back on Attentive Child and life was good again :-)

My son is quite calm now and much less impulsive. His focusing still isn't what I'd like it to be, but it's better than it used to be.

I think whether this works or not depends on what is causing the problems. I guess my kids were deficient in the zinc & magnesium. There's other stuff in it, too, though, so who knows.

Best of luck figuring it out!

Gayle

Just curious,

For those of you who have your children taking this were they bed wetters? I have heard of a direct correlation between zinc and magnesium def. and bed wetting in older children. Thoughts?

I wasn't aware of this correlation, but...

We started DS on a supplement regimen last October (which includes additional zinc and magnesium, plus several other supplements), and he stopped his bed-wetting a few weeks later. So perhaps he was zinc/magnesium deficient.

DS takes 50 mg of Zinc and 500mg of Magnesium Citrate per day.

We are not using the supplement that is the topic of this thread - just various individual vitamins/minerals.

I wasn't aware of this correlation, but...

We started DS on a supplement regimen last October (which includes additional zinc and magnesium, plus several other supplements), and he stopped his bed-wetting a few weeks later. So perhaps he was zinc/magnesium deficient.

DS takes 50 mg of Zinc and 500mg of Magnesium Citrate per day.

We are not using the supplement that is the topic of this thread - just various individual vitamins/minerals.

What brand and form of supplements is he taking? I'm looking for a chewable mag citrate. Ds hates the powder that I try to mix into a drink, and he won't swallow pills (he already does a liquid cal/mag supplement in the morning, but I think he needs a lot more mag, in the evening; long story). Also, I'd love to hear about which zinc you're using - there was a thread on the general board a while ago about liquid zinc applied to skin but I haven't tried that yet. Thanks!

What brand and form of supplements is he taking? I'm looking for a chewable mag citrate. Ds hates the powder that I try to mix into a drink, and he won't swallow pills (he already does a liquid cal/mag supplement in the morning, but I think he needs a lot more mag, in the evening; long story). Also, I'd love to hear about which zinc you're using - there was a thread on the general board a while ago about liquid zinc applied to skin but I haven't tried that yet. Thanks!

Well, my DS won't do chewables or liquids but he's a champion pill swallower... :D Probably not much help to you, but he takes Nature's Plus Cal/Mag Citrate and Natural Factors Zinc Citrate (capsules and tablets).

Have you looked into Epsom Salt baths for magnesium? You can also mix Epsom Salt into a spray or homemade lotion (easily absorbed through the skin). The following website has all the recipes (I bought the author's book "Enzymes for Autism" and highly recommend it - but she has tons of great info on her website too): http://www.enzymestuff.com/epsomsalts.htm Scroll about halfway down the page to see the recipes.