Menu

which program?

kahlanne

I need advice on what to choose for dd that is a struggling learner with a mom that is overwhelmed easily.

Dd is going to be 10 next month. Due to issues in the past, we have fallen behind but I believe she is at least 3.5 grade level. We had issues the first few years keeping up with a fast paced, difficult workbook based program. Next I found great programs that worked terrificly but were so teacher intensive that we fell behind. (During this time I had a 1 yr old, 4 yr old (quick learner), and my first very difficult pregnancy.) This year I would like something that would take the best from both to create something that would work for us.

Here are some thoughts on dd's learning style

1. Workbooks-She likes that they are fast paced but hates doing the same type of problems over and over again multiple days in a row. This is an issue since it does take her many days to grasp a new concept. Ex. On the first day of multiplication, she struggles because it is new but likes the workbook page. On the second day, she still struggles but doesn't dislike the page. By the third day, she hates it and it is a struggle to get her to do the work. (time consuming to say the least) However, at this time she still needs to work on muliplication because she can't complete a problem quickly and effectively.

2. Even though my dd is very crafty on her own time, she didn't enjoy lapbooking. I don't know if it was the one I choose or what but it took too long, wasn't her ideas, and didn't accomplish much.

3. She has trouble reading directions and understanding what to do. Usually if I read the directions to her she will do well without much or minimal help. This is difficult for me with a workbook based program. It is a lot of starts and stops that interrupts me getting anything else done whether cleaning, babysitting, or schooling other child. One page will have multiple sets of directions and when you are doing many pages a day it is difficult to feel like you can accomplish anything.

4. Reading- Her reading is slow but she can read on a 3-4 grade level according to scholastics. Her comprehension and speed is much better when being read aloud to or her reading aloud rather than silent reading. My younger children enjoy being read to even if above their level. Although this is more teacher intensive, it is easier for me to deal with and schedule than stops and starts with a workbook's directions.

5. Math- She is just now starting long division. Her multiplication and division is slow but she gets it done. She has never been great at memorization so learning any of her tables is a slow process. She does great with word problems if I read them to her and good if she reads them herself silently.

6. We haven't focused on geography, history, and science as much as I would like devoting more time to the more important subjects. I would like to do a better job this year.

7. She hates writing and grammar with a passion. Sadly, she is further behind in these than I would like. We do a workbook based grammar program and it takes her so long to work through a page. Then next day it almost seems like she has forgotten it all. She can write decent sentences but can't write paragraphs or stories yet. When finishing a story, she will be able to tell me what she wants it to say but has trouble turning that into sentences to be written together.

8. She started cursive writing this year and while not completely accomplished at it yet, she is excelling faster than expected.

This is all I can think of currently. I hope there is a program out there that will help. For "ME", I need a little hand holding so not something that relies on my pulling it all together on my own but not something so rigid that I won't be able to adjust to my dd's learning schedule. I do need some ideas on how to teach new concepts while not necessarily something scripted. (scripting is welcome) Teacher intensive isn't a bad thing but it can't be all day or not only will I not get anything else done but I will have trouble fitting in younger dd's schooling. (again dd, 5yrs, is a quick learner which is a plus) I would prefer to be able to complete the days work in 4 hours if possible. Of course, if we add extra reading or fun things this can be extended but the bulk of the work being within that time frame.

I am wondering if Ambleside Online, Charlotte Mason, or Heart of Dakota would fit the bill? We have a great library system and I don't mind buying whatever I need. If not, what do you suggest? Or am I just a hopeless homeschooler that should consider public?

progress.gif

Or am I just a hopeless homeschooler that should consider public?

progress.gif

Oh, heavens, no! My 9yo sounds quite a bit like what you are describing. I don't have much advice, but one thing I want to mention that I have done is start using Teaching Textbooks for math. She does it all on the computer, and it shows the problems both in writing as well as reading them aloud. This helps tremendously, as my dd struggles with reading.

We are in the same boat as far as being behind in history, geography, and science. We too spend most of our time focusing on the core subjects and let these slide. This year I am planning to do an overview of world history using perhaps CHOW or something else (???) so that we will be prepared to start the 4-year cycle next year in 5th. Also, I ordered Noeo for science. I thought maybe science would get done better if all the experiments were included.

Good luck!

Your dd sounds a bit like mine. I classify my dd as a visual spatial/right-brained learner, and that has been helpful when finding good curriculum fits. We do short, but effective lessons. My dd does comprehend better when she hears herself read aloud, so sometimes if she is struggling, I have her read the same thing aloud, and then it clicks. For us, full-color visual resources have been very important and really speed up learning. I call it effortless learning. Some specific suggestions for you:

Singapore Math Standards Edition. Very visual. If you needs hands on or scripting help, get the Home Instructor's Guide. I don't use it because my dd hates directed hands on. We read over the lesson together, and make sure she gets it. Assignments are fairly short. We also have an incentive chart which is very important in making math something she wants to do. If she completes her assignment perfectly, I fill in a box. Word problems get additional boxes filled in. Once she fills her whole chart, she gets a $10 toy (she is allowed to save up incentive charts for bigger toys). Be sure to take the placement test for Singapore Standards (singaporemath.com) and place her accordingly. Singapore is advanced anyway, plus it's a mastery curriculum so you really need to be placed correctly.

Teach your dd to type. There is a fun free program on the internet called Dance Mat Typing.

That said, your dd should also do a little cursive each day. I like a Reason for Handwriting because the assignments are so short. Cursive actually makes connections between the left and right hemispheres in a way printing does not, and is important for brain training.

For some touch up phonics, you might try Dianne Craft's Right Brain Phonics book. Just read through it together.

Copywork has been wonderful for my dd. It's like the grammar and punctuation rules have been absorbed by osmosis. Start gently. I like Writing With Ease Level One Workbook. Don't worry about the reading comprehension questions so much in there. The copywork is the main thing, plus exposure to some wonderful children's literature.

Daily silent reading at her reading level for at least 30 minutes. Graphic novels and picture books are fine. Great Illustrated Classics books are wonderful for this as well. I have a shelf of grade-level books for my dd to choose from.

For grammar, try Grammar Tales by Scholastic. Also check out The Sentence Family by St. Michael School. I like Language Smarts B and C by Critical Thinking Company. I also supplement with Fun Decks by Super Duper Inc. Diagramming can also be helpful for visual learners, especially when studying things like subject and predicate. Schoolhouse Rock is good. I have heard great things about MCT Grammar Island, although have not personally tried it.

Science and History are super fun subjects, and really culturally important to be an educated person, I think. For science, try reading Max Axiom Super Scientist graphic novels/comic books. Buy the corresponding Science Wiz kits. Totally fun science.

For history, I really like chronological history. Start with Ancient Times. Do mini unit studies. For Ancient Egypt, get the Usborne Beginners Ancient Egypt book, plus maybe the You Wouldn't Want to Be Tutankamen or the Horrible Histories about Egypt. Make sure you have visual, fun resources. Lots of history options. For history, we just read from some books. Then my dd draws a picture for the timeline (drawing is her thing), and I create a caption for that picture, which I write on the board. She copies that onto her picture. We post all her pictures on a running timeline on the wall. It's great!

HTH