Menu

The Legendary Cinnamon Rolls . . . Veganized!

So, my daughter and I were walking through an airport the other day and caught a sniff of the wonderous aroma wafting out of the Cinnabon. She mentioned that she had never eaten a cinnamon roll (life-long vegan), and so I promised to see if I could make some.

I remembered the many, many conversations and glowing comments about Quiver/Jean's recipe and decided to see if it would be possible to approximate a vegan version.

I made a batch this morning, and many were scarfed on the spot. Since it was a big batch, and there are only four of us in the house, I took some of the left-overs to our church social hour, where they drew rave reviews and many requests for the recipe.

I know there are some other vegans on the board and thought some of you might be interested.

Here's Jean's original recipe with my substitutions and changes in purple:

Dough

1 T. Dry Yeast

1 Cup warm milk / I used vanilla soy milk.

1/3 C. white sugar / I used organic, vegan sugar.

1/2 C. melted butter / Earth Balance margarine

1 tsp. salt

2 eggs / I just left out the eggs and added a tablespoon of canola oil.

4 C. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead into a ball. Let rise until double in size. When ready, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Spread with filling.

Filling:

1/4 C. butter, softened / Again, Earth Balance marganine.

1 C. brown sugar / I substituted 1/4 cup maple syrup and 3/4 cup organic sugar.

3 T. cinnamon

Spread butter on dough evenly. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over dough evenly. Roll dough up. Slice roll into 1 inch slices. Place on a greased pan. Let rise again until doubled. bake 10 min. at 400 degrees.

Icing:

1/2 C. butter, softened

1 1/2 C. powdered sugar

1 oz. cream cheese

2 T. whipping cream

1 tsp. vanilla extract

pinch of salt

You could probably stick closer to the original icing if you had tofu-based cream cheese on hand. I never do, though. So, I just kind of made up my own thing. Here's my version:

1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine

1/2 cup vegetable shortening

1 1/2 cup (or slightly more, if you need to thicken the icing) vegan powdered sugar

2 tsp lemon juice

pinch of salt

I combined the margarine and shortening, added half of the sugar, followed by the lemon juice and the rest of the sugar a little at a time.

Beat until fluffy. When rolls are hot, spread lots of icing on them.

Seriously, they were really good.

Thanks, Jean!

Would someone mind explaining the difference between sugar and vegan sugar? I thought sugar was vegan?

Many sugars use bone char in the processing. Most vegans I know avoid any sugar that they cannot verify does not use animal products.

Some mainstream brands are acceptable, but since many brands are regional, you usually have to check what's available in your area.

Many sugars use bone char in the processing. Most vegans I know avoid any sugar that they cannot verify does not use animal products.

Some mainstream brands are acceptable, but since many brands are regional, you usually have to check what's available in your area.

Really? Gross. Kinda sorry I asked. I have the same feeling I did when I found out about jello. :lol: Thanks!

I have been cooking meals for a family of 8 whose mom is expecting twins... any second now. There are family members who have life threatening allergiesto anything dairy-related. This recipe will be perfect for them. I'm going to make a batch the day mom and babies come home from the hospital ...as a way of celebration.Thanks so much for posting this!Geo

Well Carp! I was asking dh if he knew about the sugar thing, then he saw the title of this thread and says "Wait, what's that about legendary cinnamon rolls?" I had to tell him I had the recipe. I guess now I'm going to have to make him some. :lol: