Menu

I need some spelling program recommendations

bnrmom

I need some help with spelling, for two different grade levels and two different kinds of learners:

My 5th grader struggles with spelling. He never really got phonics, and learned to read as a "whole word" reader rather than sounding words out. He can memorize a spelling list, get 100%, and then not know how to spell the word after awhile. He reads just fine, but also struggles with writing.

My 2nd grader is advanced in spelling and reading, but hates writing. While he is probably already a 1/2 grade ahead of where he needs to be, I'd like to keep him moving forward.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

apples and pears, may be a good fit. I have been using Zaner Bloser free lists for my girls, and they free worksheet that comes with it. I import the words into Spellingcity.com and they really enjoy using that. Plus it tests and everything for me which I love. With ZB I find the lists to be too easy so I had my K'er doing the 2nd grade list and my 3rd grader doing 5th grade. It only goes up to 8th so I had my 7th grader doing 8th and it worked out well for us. We started schooling late last year so we are start on week 8 on the same grades we did last year. Spelling City had just been wonderful with games, printables, teaching & testing pretty much all done for me.

We have had great success with Spelling Power and there is a lot to like about spelling power for your scenario:

1. Multi sensory learning with built in review - If the student doens't get a word right in the daily test they learn the word using a 10 step study process that really works and then they review them later. It's solid.

2. Rules based - Each new section of words is focused around a rule and that rule keeps coming up again and again. This sounds like a good approach for your older

3. Easy placement - If you aren't quite sure where to put your 2nd grader the placement test will point you in the right direction. At the end of each year we retest to make sure we are still in the right level.

4. Advancement is based on performance; it just doesn't march ahead - If they "get it" and rocket ahead this program lets them. Need more review? It works for a slower pace too.

5. Includes non-traditional spelling activities - Part of the program is game-ish activities that reinforce the rules. Not super fun but worlds better than dry spelling list.

6. Low cost - The program cost something like $65 plus shipping but will work for both kids until the end of their need for spelling instructin and you can print out the consumable portions from the included CD.

7. No lesson planning required - just print the consumables then pick up the book each day and administer the next set of words.

The only downside is that it does take more than the advertised 15 minutes a day - at least for us. That said, I work with both of my kids at the same time and it takes about 30 minutes.

rm

I agree with the All About Spelling (AAS) recommendation. I started it last year with my 2nd and 4th grader. If they need to learn the phonograms, start with level 1 and work through it quickly. We went through levels 1, 2, 3 & part of 4 last year, so the levels have nothing to do with grade. My two are different learners too and it worked well for both. I had them keep a spelling log book (actually the one that Spelling to Write and Read uses) and we did spell-offs on Fridays (instead of spelling tests) with hand-held white boards. So feel free to adapt it to what works for your kids. One liked doing the tiles, one did not, so for that we just used the white board to write out the words.

Michelle

Several of the Words Their Way workbooks have been put up at spellingcity.com

http://www.spellingcity.com/rnorman/

The workbooks here are older editions and do not match the spellingcity list, but give you an idea of what the workbooks are like. http://yung.wikispaces.com/Words+Their+Way

I don't necessarily think this is the BEST, but it's there and for lack of being excited about anything else at the moment, it's what I am using THIS WEEK :-)

Edited by Hunter

AAS is super popular on these boards, but it doesn't work for everyone and it is far from the only rules based spelling program. I personally don't think you can know if a spelling program will work for your child without just picking something and trying it. I am among those that would say dictation should be part of the spelling program. I know AAS, Apples and Pears, and Spelling Plus with the Dictation Resource Book all have that and I'm sure there are others.

I replied on your other thread...I still think Spelling Plus and Spelling Dictation will be good for both.

But, in addition for your 5th grader, I would have him quickly work through the things on my how to tutor page to make sure you have his phonics covered, have him read and spell a few words of each type from each unit. I would also do the syllable division exercises. It adds in spelling rules, so I would cover those while reviewing the phonics. Everything you need is linked at the end of the page.

Before I started tutoring with phonics, I was like your son--I could memorize lists of words and get 100% easily and then still spell poorly. I used to misspell 5 to 6 words per page. Now, I misspell one every 1 to 2 pages after learning all the phonetic spelling rules, it really helped my spelling.

When your 5th grader finishes Spelling Plus, I like Megawords and Marcia Henry's Words. Words is combined spelling and vocab and is non-consumable. The samples are from early on in the book, the words get tougher, they really do go up to at least an 8th grade level, and I think some of them are truly high school level words.